Ignition switch, will TRIUMPH stand by it's product

Gothlander

321 GONE
I am posting this in general tech so Triumph can read it. My Rocket 111 06 model with 11000 klms on the clock has had the ignition switch fail three times. Now I am worried I will be stuck out on the road somewhere stranded due to a design fault. This makes me uncomfortable to take long rides for which this bike is designed for. Triumph UK (through Triumph Austrlia) have said they will supply an ignition switch kit for half price, which is what I can source from BikeBandit for the same cost anyway. I am not happy with this offer and said so to Triumph to which they suggested I find all the people that have had the fault on this forum and send the info to them. So Rocket owners who have had this problem please add your posts to this thread with photos so Triumph can see there is a design fault and see how many owners have had this fault. This will not only help me but also other Rocket owners with the same fault. I love my Rocket and exstole it's virtues to all that will listen and would love to tell people that Triumph stand by their product.

PLEASE add your case to this thread with positive or negative outcomes.

Thanking you in advance,
Gothlander.

My switch started acting up last year 09, I was able to get it home from Maggie Valley(500miles) no problem.
Called my local dealer and explained to him what happened, he contacted Triumph who in return sent him to give to me a complete set up which consists of the switch, petrol cap and seat lock they would not cover the labour but it is an easy enough job to do your self. My Rocket is a 2005 model with over 40000miles on it.

The ignition switch turned out to be the root cause of several strange problems .... battery not charging, no start, intermittent dying on the highway, high idle. I feel Triumph should issue a recall. If mine had not have failed totally, I might still be riding around with odd **** happening no one could explain or diagnose. Once the switch was replaced, every little annoyance the bike was doing disapeared. You have my vote!
If you want to be safe, NEVER EVER add an accessory to the bike that uses the ignition switch. It is maxed out and any little addition taxes it to failure.
It left me on the side of the highway after coasting to a stop in traffic on several occasions. More than a little embarassing while wearing black and white leathers sporting large white "TRIUMPH" lettering across the back and up both arms. :mad:

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Classic and mine was replaced last year. I can supply more info if needed.
Good Luck, Mike

Yes it does

Well I am pleased to say TRIUMPH is standing by it's product. After a little haggling they have agreed to supply the whole lockset parts only. I am very happy about this :D :D :D and have to say "TRIUMPH RULES" . I wouldn't hesitate to buy another TRIUMPH and think its great to find a company that does stand by its product. YEEE HAA !!! :D :D :D

And a big thanks to all who helped the cause. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Well, I just burned out my 3rd ignition switch.

- The first was in the stock location and the solder brought.
- The second was in the relocated position and got really hot and burned out.
- The third was in the relocated position wrapped head to toe in Dei HEATTAPE. It never got hot but it rolled over and went dead over the weekend.

I'm getting really frustrated ponying up for these....
It was recommended to try the 'eastern beaver relay mod'... I'm searching for the thread.

ign. sw.

in my opinion every one needs to use head lite relays.
this simple mod will take off 50 + watts of juice off the ign. sw.

the aux lite sw. also takes its juice from the ign. sw.

the heated hand grips also take their juice from the ign.sw.

if anyone wants one i will make up a kit with instr.

for the price of parts,$10 for my wallet and shipping.

just an idea.

allso the heated grips take their power thru the lite circuit.

so i could make up a gizmo to move its power too if wanted.

every bit of power you take off the ign. sw. will help out.

im not trying to step on anyones toes but it seems like help is needed..

Daffy

Back