Idle issues, again

Watsonian

.060 Over
I am once again having idle issues and would like to seek advice here as I have little confidence in the dealer sorting this out.

Bike will run great for hours and then out of nowhere lose its ability to idle when I engage the clutch and am downshifting to stop. Typically I can downshift to 1st gear and near my stop when the rpms drop below 700 and then dies. I can restart the bike easily and it will immediately go back to running fine until some random stop where the same pattern repeats itself with the idle dropping and the bike dying. Very annoying when attempting a slow rolling turn when the bike dies mid-turn.

Yesterday I hooked up my computer to the OBD connector and observed everything through the software I have (Dealer Tools, company from the UK that provides ODB connector and software for the Rocket). The Primary TPS was at .614 volts (new primary tps installed last summer) however the secondary TPS was at .483 volts and fluctuating slightly while the bike was running at idle. Bike idled nicely at 800 rpms for about 6 minutes and then exhibited the idle problem and stalled out. While going through stall out process both TPS voltage values fluctuated quite a bit with the secondary TPS dropping to .241 volts. I will add that the battery voltage was fluctuating between 11.2 volts and 14.3 volts through all of this (is this normal for an idling bike?) So with all of that said, can anyone point me at what they believe the problem is and how best to troubleshoot further? I am thinking either secondary TPS is bad or bad electrical connections causing voltage fluctuation. I have several after market items hooked up to an Eastern Beaver PC8 (GPS, Cell Phone mount and charger, Stiebel air horn and lights) Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bike is a 2005 Standard with triple K&Ns, secondaries removed, Predator pipes, PCIII mapped for the bike setup, O2 sensor removed.

11.2volts sounds way too low, even as the engine stalls out the battery would have enough power to hold it above 12 (if not above 13 for a min or so! ) I would be checking the power side - Battery, regulator, charging levels??

Good luck
Pierre

Also, strongly advise removing the Stebel horn from the PC-8. Jim, the Eastern Beaver guy, discourages running horn circuitry through the PC-8. The Stebel should go directly to the battery with it's own fused lead. Otherwise you run the risk of overloading the PC-8 relay.

Also, since you already have the cable, you may want to try TuneECU. It has a lot of diagnostic info available. and it's free.

Problem resolved ... I think

Received my USB - OBD for TuneECU cable today. Installed TuneECU on the laptop, hooked up the cable and followed the directions on the site for setting TPS and stepper motor. Ran 12 minute tune and the bike idles like a champ. Need to take it out for a run to make sure it will not do the intermittent stall thing.

A quick question for the TPS / TuneECU experts. The primary TPS stepped up to .69 volts as the bike idled, however the secondary TPS stepped up to 1.08 volts. Is this normal? The bike idled great so I would assume this is standard behavior however would like confirmation.

Oh yes, and I took the opportunity to clean the crank angle sensor while I was at it. It definitely needed it as there were several small metal shavings stuck to it.

Thanks to all who advised.

SInce you have tune ecu are your secondarys set to 100% or are they still at a factory setting/ The .69 is not bad idleing as when you intially set the TPS the stepper motor is fully retracted (if the process is like tune boy which I bet it is.) as soon as its idling the stepper motor is making the idle adjustments. Last time I looked at min I blieve it was like .688 when idleing. so yours sounds good I am not sure if the tune ecu Process has you reset the adaptives on it during the process. I alway adjust mine by preforming a full ISCV reset. this is idle stepper control voltage reset it sync's everthing with the map in the ecu and has you do the reset adaptives on the last step. does this sound about the same as the tune ecu process?

Back