How worried should I be?

@Corey my 2014 had a slight leak as well and was simply a loose hose clamp. Saved me lots of money and time to find it and fix it on my own. Just because it is wet where you indicated, does not mean that is where it is leaking. That is the lowest point and the fluid runs down hill.

As for the tires, 10 years is in my opinion way to long. I concede that tire technology has improve leaps and bounds, but for 36 years of riding, I have heard 5 years requires a change due to compounds breaking down within the tire structure. Luckily for me, I need to change my tires every 9 months or so, thus don't have to worry too much about getting older tires. Still, I check the date when they are changed to make sure I don't get old rubber.

I agree with @TO rocket that if you do need to take it in, now is the time. Show the dealer some love and hopefully they will return that love when you need some.

I also agree with @1olbull about gaskets and seals drying out when they are not used. Another worry i don't have, but when a bike gets used 'too much' as i have been told, it does develop other worries and complaints from being used so much; so what is the answer? Just ride as much as we wish and let the bricks fall where they may.

Good luck brother!

I had a leak on my bike and first I believed it to be from the water pump seal. It turned out to be the returning hose clamp which is up behind the radiator and needed all the chrome covers to be removed. The clamp was loose thats all so it was an easy fix.
I had same thing, just tighten the clamp a 1/4 turn and it stopped. But "scot in exile" is right, I'd be changing those tires before the next ride!

Remove the bear claw and look @ your coolant reservoir. The bike shop likes to refill the thing when the bike goes for service and it leaks when it is parked at home after a good run from the shop. It's slippery stuff too. Also, the dogs and cats like to lick it :sick: It's very toxic to them. :x3:

It sure is slippery and doesn´t dry very fast. Stupid cats and dogs to lick that stuff. Fortunately don´t have neither. If the reservoir gets over filled it will leak or should one say gets rid of all extra liquid.

I almost thought I had a broken radiator before I noticed it was only wet up in the middle and then noticed the loose clamp.

JMO
tires 10 years old have the potential for tearing out the side wall on a panic stop. :eek:
new front tire at least.:)
and this is coming from a guy that likes to wear them down to the steel cords:laugh:

Ok still lealking some. I was going to change coolant anyway so I changed both seals in the water pump, the draining plug and checked hoses and clamps. New coolant and now just hoping it does not leak anymore. Had the motor running to get the air out and to see if it would leak right away. Fortunately not. Looking good but I hope there is no coolant on the garage floor tomorrow.

I don´t know if I did something wrong but I could not get any of the old coolant out via the draining plug so I had to loosen the bottom screws to get the coolant flowing. No idea if this is very common. Then I just flushed the radiator with hot water and topped it up with new coolant.

I guess on at first then off and I ended up with coolant coming out like from everywhere else but the drain plug. To totally drain the system I had to loose those two lower screws.

Yep tyres are just like your work boots leave em sittin around to long and rubber get hard and cracks, no good for your boots no good for you riding
a 360kg bike at 110 ks an hour.

Back