alexwasserman

.060 Over
Ride
R3T 2008, Trophy 1200 1995
Guys,

As I work through the mods on the new bike I've discovered that the previous owner actually did a fair amount himself. Bike is an '08 R3T.

First, after doing my initial TuneECU tune, I found a PC3 tucked away and hidden.

Second, while putting on K&N triple filters, and putting on the Dyno O2 sensor replacement, I found the sensor replacement already there.

Thirdly, was looking at the pipes, discovered they're Jardines.

So, not too upset over-all.

The end result is that I have a bike with Jardines, K&Ns, and the O2 by-pass.

There's no PC3 map for that combo - just one with Jardines and stock filters.

There is a TuneECU map, so I'm planning on loading that in. I already have a different TuneECU tune in the ECU, from before putting on the K&Ns, and before I knew it had Jardines.

What should I do with the PC3? It's all wired in and so I don't want to disconnect it. Should I load in a stock map and effectively ignore it?

What's best PC3? Reverting the TuneECU tune to stock and using PC3?

Reverting PC3 to stock and using TuneECU?

Thanks,

Alex

First, when you upload the tune out of your ECU, what is it? How does the fuel compare with the stock TOR R3T tune? What is in the PCIII? It may have already been dyno tuned.

What custom tuneecu tune do you have for R3T with your setup? You don't need to revert to stock to tune the pciii. You just need to make sure the values in the secondaries table in the tune you have loaded are all set to 100% and that the O2 sensor is disabled (check box). If you load a different Tuneecu tune, make sure you have a zero map in the pciii. That means zero trims. Leave the pciii in. After you load the best tuneecu tune you can find, have it dyno tested. If it looks good, leave it. If not, get the pciii dyno tuned. I know a guy with the same setup who got 157 hp with a good pciii dyno tune.

Last edited:
First, when you upload the tune out of your ECU, what is it? How does the fuel compare with the stock TOR R3T tune? What is in the PCIII? It may have already been dyno tuned.

What custom tuneecu tune do you have for R3T with your setup? You don't need to revert to stock to tune the pciii. You just need to make sure the values in the secondaries table in the tune you have loaded are all set to 100% and that the O2 sensor is disabled (check box). If you load a different Tuneecu tune, make sure you have a zero map in the pciii. That means zero trims. Leave the pciii in. After you load the best tuneecu tune you can find, have it dyno tested. If it looks good, leave it. If not, get the pciii dyno tuned. I know a guy with the same setup who got 157 hp with a good pciii dyno tune.

The current ECU tune is for stock/slip-on pipes, and standard filters, as when I tuned it I didn't realise the bike came with Jardines, and it was before I put in the K&Ns. So, with the K&Ns, and Jardines I definitely need a new tune.

I have no idea what's in the PC3, which is why I'd rather revert the PC3 to a zero map, and then load in the TuneECU tune which is designed for my setup. There isn't a PC3 tune for my setup that I can find.

In the future, I can have the bike dyno'd properly, and load that into the PC3, but that's not going to happen today.

My worry is that with the TuneECU tune in place, if I leave the PC3 with whatever it has, it'll screw up the engine when the PC3 map lays over the TuneECU map while riding.

It sounds like your tune is Tripp's stock or slip-on tune. With a PCIII zero map, this tune would be too lean. In fact it is considerably leaner than the DB killers tune (below). If you have a USB cable you can connect to the PCIII to find out what's in it.

As far as tunes for the Touring with Jardines and K&N's, the closest I see on the TuneECU site is:

20258Jardines_exhaust_DB_KillersMap.hex

This tune was created with a dyno. This bike apparently had DB killers in the Jardines. I don't know how much, if at all, these change the flow, but this tune should be pretty close - with the PCIII loaded with zeros.

Another R3T tune on the TuneECU site is:

R3T_Jardines_20366_base_Jan2011.hex

This tune is leaner than db killers but richer than the stock or slip on. It isn't clear how the fueling was determined. It could have been on a dyno or it could have been guessing.

For either of these tunes, you would want a zero map in the PCIII.

The standard maps aren't compatible with the Touring ECU. You can't load a standard map into your ecu. The R3T main fuel tables have a row at 700 rpm while the standard maps don't but have a row for 0 rpm. Wayne Tripp did a Jardines/k&N tune for a standard:

Power-Tripp Jardine 3xK&NRU-2780a

If you wanted to do a lot of work, you could take his values from this tune for the F, L, and I tables and manually put them into an R3T tune. You can't copy the tables directly because they don't conform. You'd have to extrapolate the 700 rpm row.

I'd start with the DB killers tune and zero out the PCIII.

Dougl,

Thank you very much for your help.

Checking the PC3, I saw it had the standard Jardines tune from the PC3 website, not a custom dyno'd tune. I loaded in the 0 map.

I've loaded in the DB Killer's tune, so we'll have to see how that goes - ride time soon.

Thanks,

Alex

Dougl,

Thank you very much for your help.

Checking the PC3, I saw it had the standard Jardines tune from the PC3 website, not a custom dyno'd tune. I loaded in the 0 map.

I've loaded in the DB Killer's tune, so we'll have to see how that goes - ride time soon.

Thanks,

Alex
Great! Let us know how it works.

Great! Let us know how it works.

Definitely more responsive, pulls harder now.

However, there's also an awful lot of decal popping. Nice vroom when cruising and revving up, but horrific noise on decel. I'm used a little popping on hard decel, but every time I let up on the gas a little there's a huge amount of popping.

Everyone has the decel popping issue with free flowing after market exhaust. It's an issue of too lean at zero or low throttle under load. It is not harmful to the engine. However, with the pciii, you can get rid of it. Get a custom dyno tune of the pciii at a good dynojet tuner and it should get rid of the decel popping and fill in any bad spots in your fueling table. Also make sure that the O2 sensor is disabled. I forget whether that means the box needs to be checked or unchecked in TuneEcu. You right click on the box to toggle it on or off.

Back