How many miles is too many?

Wow, I don't ride nearly enough.

Don't care for the flat black treatment, and you can bet those Jardines will need to be repacked. If you're really interested I'd low ball him and see if you can get it real cheap.

The dealer said the guy dropped it. Then he rattle canned the bike flat black. It would need a total paint job as far as Im concerned. He says they serviced it for him. I think the guy bought a new Trophy to replace this bike. I was just in there trying to see how much my 20k service would run, $795.00 by the way, and the guy told me about this one sitting out back that the guy had put on Craigslist but his Trophy arrived before he could sell it so he just traded it in.

My 20K service was $160. I provided the oil and filter, but it sure wasn't $635 worth.

My 20K service was $160. I provided the oil and filter, but it sure wasn't $635 worth.

My 10k service was 690 at my dealer. I thought I would try these guys and he just looked it up in a book and gave me the 795 figure and said the 40k is 1000.00

I want to keep my 100k warranty but it would be just about as cheap to keep the 2500 bucks and wait for something to break. This is crazy.

My 10k service was 690 at my dealer. I thought I would try these guys and he just looked it up in a book and gave me the 795 figure and said the 40k is 1000.00

I want to keep my 100k warranty but it would be just about as cheap to keep the 2500 bucks and wait for something to break. This is crazy.

I signed up for one of those extended warranties too. My dealer went out of business a year later. That's why I had the oil and filter, the parts guy gave me as much oil, filters and brake pads as I could fit in my bags on their last day before they closed. Didn't make up for the money I lost on the warranty but it helped.

Its fixable but them look like stock headers tome not jardines. I could be wrong though it would not be the first time. Jell I would run a compression test on her if it was good I would slap a timing chain and guide and check the clutch out on her and run the **** out of it. They are pretty strong motors. Bodywork is easy you can even buy the tins on ebay if needed. I can't aee if it has a square tire on it but I would look and lube the splines. I bet she will run for a long while. Idoffer him 3000 out the door. The owner must not have been reading up on theTrophy or he would have kept it so he had something to ride while they work all the bugs out of the Trophy. I have been reading about the nightmares on the rat net site of you want to ride a trophy you had better have a stand by bike. this one looks like a good candidate for a Carpenter kit.

Last edited:
Its fixable but them look like stock headers tome not jardines. I could be wrong though it would not be the fosrt time. Jell I would run a compression test on her if it was good I would slap a timing chain and guide and check the ckutch out on her and run the **** out of it. They are pretty strong motors. Bodywork is easy you can even buy the tins on ebay if needed. I can't aee if it has a square tire on it but I would look and lube the splines. I bet she will run for a long while. Idoffer him 3000 out the door. The owner must not have been reading up on th eTrophy or he woul dhave kept it so he had something to ride while they work all the bugs out of the Trophy. I have been reading about the nightmares on the rat net site of you want to ride a trophy you had better have a stand by bike. this one looks like a good candidate for a Carpenter kit.

That was the first thing that came to mind....Carpenter.I have no business with it but I can't stop thinking about all the custom work that could be done on her if cheap enough. I'm not a bad painter either so I would at least have a cheap one to play around with before I work on my new one.....:D

To give you a similar mileage example.. My '04 has 74K miles on it and all I've had to do internally is replace the clutch plates. Timing chain, gears, etc appear to be just fine. Just got her back on the road a week a go from that and she runs great.. I had it on a dyno last summer and still put out the same power as it did 3 years before when I had it dyno tuned. If it was a bit closer, I would be trying to get it, the mileage wouldn't scare me if it's been serviced regularly.. :)

I bought mine from RPM Cycles in Dec '05 as a demo they were selling when Keith Martin still owned it, still visit Big D Cycles if I happen to be up that way...

Back