help needed

xhdskip

Living Legend
Okay guys, here I am wondering if anybody has installed the HID bulbs from EFX? I've got the 8000k H4 h/l . They came with a modest drawing of the wireing,(not good enough) a ballast and about a ton of wires, hookups , and connectors. What I need to know is HOW and WHERE and to what color wires, and what the heck is the ballast for. Anyone with any expierence at this sort of thing.. the website for the bulbs is www.euroeffects.net . thanks. xhdskip

HID bulbs have to 'light off'. The ballast is what lights them off just like a ballast juices a fluorescent tube. Just 110 won't cause the gas fluoresce, it takes a high voltage arc in the tube and it takes a high voltage arc in the HID bulb to excite the gas and cause it to illuminate. It takes a substantial amount of voltage and amperage to light the bulb off. Once it gets to operating temperature which is very quickly, the ballast kicks out and the bulb will illuminate with very little power consumption which is one reason they work well in cars with daylight running headlamps. HID lamps don't like to be cycled on and off. The ballast must be physically located as close to the bulbs as possible, preferably in the headlight bucket itself. The reason is the HV wire has to be a short as possible do you don't get a voltage drop.

There are a number of riders on the KLR forum that have converted their H4's to HID using the same kit you have. You might want to search the threads over there for some information.... www.KLR650.net Just type in HID lights in the search box.

Last edited:
Back