Front end vibration and wobble fixed (Long story)

RKTNMYPKT

Village Idiot
Ride
2021 HD RoadGlide
On my trip to RAA this year I noticed that at 95 MPH and higher my mirrors would vibrate so badly that they were basically useless.

I also noticed around that same time that when removing my hands from the bars the bars would wobble, sometimes rather violently.

Since my front Metzler at the time was showing signs of cupping I assumed that is what was causing the problem.

When I broght my bike in for the 10K service I mentioned this problem to the service manager, and asked him to check the headstock bearing, he mentioned that was part of the 10K service. and at that same time I had them install the new Bridgestone in the back, the front Avon was still on order.

A day or so later I noticed the front end still wobbled a bit, assuming the headstock bearing check was done during the service, again I attributed the wobble to the Metzler in the front.

2 weeks later the Avon finally comes in, I have it installed and it seems on the way home that the wobble is gone, however the next day it was back. I called the service manager and asked him to confirm the bearing check was done. he said it was.

I told him I was bringing the bike back in that weekend.

that same day I read @Claviger's post on his Headstock bearing and the 6 mile test ride ;)

I sent him a message asking what his symptons were and his matched mine to a tee.

The next Saturday at the dealers I showed the service manager Clavigers message, I told him I wanted the headstock bearing checked again.

Just then the mechanic walked in and said hey Jim what are you here for today? I described the symptoms to him and he said....... Its your headstock bearing, why didnt you mentioned it before I'd have fixed it then and save you a trip! :banghead: :banghead:

(picture me glaring at the service manager who refused to look up) :mad:

Adriana and I go out for breakfast (delicous by the way)

When we get back my bike is ready, the Mechanic told me he got a full turn on the nut that tightens the bearing.

I asked the Service manager why it wasnt checked during the service, he said it was but the check involves trying to move the front wheel with the bars secured, if the wheel doesnt move the nut isnt checked. he said my wheel did not move during the check. :thumbsdown:

So anyway I'm happy to report the problem is fixed :D

Now if only I hadnt of been almost killed by a tree hugger in a Subaru on the way home it would have been a perfect day.... :p

Tight nuts, new rubbers and a secure bearing, eh??? Too bad you're married, Jim... you could do some real damage with that M. O.!:roll:

Couple of years ago I had a serious wobble whenever I took my hands off the bars. New tyre would sort of fix it for a short while. Got the headstock tightened and have been able to ride with hands off bars ever since. Difference was astronomical.

Back