Engine Vibration continues

Engine Vibration

Hi Size.
I too have a vibration in my 2011 Rocket III Roadster.
This is the 3rd Rocket i have owned. The first 2 had no vibrations whatsoever. This one has had a vibration since approx 6 Months after I purchased it. It started coming in about 3200rpm. I took it to the dealer for them to loook at it. The work shop said nonsense, ride it. I did. The vibration was slowly getting worse. Finally in January 2013 I told the dealer that the vibration was pretty bad and that i was bringing it in on 13/02/2013. When I took it in on that day, it was knocking(crank?). After being told that there was nothing wrong with it i then waited 12 weeks for some parts to come from the UK. It was put back together. I got it back on the 14/05/2013. It still vibrated on the way home, not as bad as when I dropped it off, but still bad. They are trying to tell me that it is a normal thing. BULLS$#T. The thing is broken, fix it properly or replace it. They may not want to fix or replace it, well i don't want to ride a rocket that vibrates. That is not what I paid for. Why should I trade my Rocket in for one that is the same as the one I already have. I would rather trade up to one that is a new model out with the latest upgrades. I have loved all of my Rockets, but if they are going to start coming out with a vibration, I WON'T but another one. ill go back to drag racing cars. Spend my money somewhere else. I wonder how many more rocket lovers will do the same or similar.
Very disappointed Triumph Rocket III Roadster owner who was still under warantee.

Used 2011 R3R

Tomorrow I pick up my new-to-me Roadster. I hope there is no vibration like I have been reading about here. But, if there is, and since I'm in Pennsylvania and not too far from New Jersey, I'm taking the bike to CARPENTER RACING for a complete tear down and rebuild. Because, IF any of the bikes can run smooth, then ALL of the bikes can run smooth. Including mine!

So what do you all think? Does anyone or any entitiy out there know Triumph Rocket IIIs better than CARPENTER?

Last edited:
No viberation here

I have NO vibration issues with my 011 R3T. It's smooth as silk. But if I did and was "Blown off" like you were by the Triumph rep, I would not be buying another Triumph, especially from the same dealer!

No More Vibration.

Hi Edaman1

Sorry to hear about your bike issue. I know how frustrated you must be.

I have now have had my 2012 R3 since October last year and had no issues with it. Its done about 9000ks now.

I think all R3 have an issue with the clutch. What I mean by this is if you slightly depress the clutch lever the bike is as smooth as silk. Even my 2012 model does this slightly but its fine and just noticeable.

The 2012 model has no vibration at all. The 2011 had **** loads of issues.

Team moto mechanics are good but as you know any mechanic who has worked on triumphs all their life has the ability to diagnose problems and its a learning curve with hands on experience. No young mechanic has the same experience. They are just reading the manual and are being told what to do by Triumph Australia. As much as I like their product try to contact someone from Triumph Australia and you will know what I mean. Hopeless and they gave me the same crap ie there's nothing wrong with it.

Any laye person knows that if you tension up the mains and the crank locks up then it needs to be examined and a process of elimination must take place to see what caused it. Not just replace the maain bearings and retension them and put it back together. I eeven told the dumb b......stards that I would pay for the engine to be balanced and they ignored me.

The guy from triumph Australia Warranty is a nice bloke but he thinks he knows everything. Don't get me wrong he offered to dismantle and replace everything untill it was fixed. That would mean that the bike could have been off the road for 12 months. NOT FOR ME.!

I have heard that the rivets that hold the clutch basket to the drive gear are loose from the factory and I think that this is the chatter from the clutch. MTC engineering in the US has made a complete clutch for performance R3's and he also told me that he has also seen brand new clutch's from Triumph loose on the gear.

I have heard the 2013 is derestricted. If they ever made one with a 6th gear I would sell mine and buy one.
I was lucky enough to only have to pay 2000k to get rid of the 2011 and upgrade tthe 2012 model.

I am happy now. Ive made a few alterations, K&N filter PC5 and ATK with the upgraded torrs mufflers. Iit now has 150.54 horsepower and 158.6 torque.

Its a rocket.

Stick it up em and park it outside their business with lemons all over it and see the response you get.

Size Does Matter; Stick it up em and park it outside their business with lemons all over it and see the response you get.[/QUOTE said:
Reminds me of years ago , in the UK , i bought my first car from a dealer ,and the first car i ever bought without my old man there to advise me ,,, Turned out to be the proverbial melon , from Mr Shonky .. I could'nt get any joy just fobbed offf and told in no uncertain terms to go away and not come back ,

I came back and parked outside his yard with a big sign . saying speak to me he sold me a melon ..,, I refused to go away when asked ,, and when threatened by him and his mechanic, i reminded him that he was getting on in age , his mechanic was a familly man , and myself and my mates were all young and stupid and could'nt give a fack about the consequences of taking it all further ,,

He went back in his office , came back out with the full refund told me to leave the car there and not come back ...

After that right up to my late 30's i always took my old man when buying a car , my sons always take me now , Dads know best

Just a thought:
Mine vibrates a small amount above 3500rpm, but as said, when you load the clutch it goes away? when you take the slack out of the clutch the actuating rod would stop spinning with the clutch and run on its load bearing. So conclusion is for me the actuating rod must be the cause?? as it will spin when not under tension.
Will be having a very close look at this when I take it off the road in the coming winter.

Any tech types on here know any more?? Must say the clutch actuation system looks a bit week to me.

Pierre

So if we keep some free play in the clutch cable, the actuating shaft is spinning? Does that mean it will wear faster? I've always kept some free play on the clutch on anything I own.:confused:

Back