Difference in Pod Filters

T Evans

Supercharged
Ok, I have decided to go with the triple filters but am thinking about getting the smaller ones that will fit under my Bear Claw. I have sense heard that there is a significant difference in HP between the small filters that will fit under the claw and the larger filters that wont fit under the claw.
The way I understand it is that the larger filters flow more air thus produce more HP? If this is the case, does anyone know how much difference there is or is it 5 hp or less. If you can see a gain of 10 hp difference by going with the larger filters, then a guy may have to look at going that route over the smaller ones.
When you load your different maps into your PCIII or your Tuneboy, does it ask which pod filters you are running, large or small?

Thanks guys

Big T

If you are running a Jardine or Pred exhaust and cams then maybe you would benefit from the larger K&Ns, otherwise you'll be fine. The only difference I noticed was on the dyno, nothing seat of the pants.

Good question T. But, here is another consideration that you may wish to ponder. Do you want your bike to look like a "sleeper" or project the "badass" image? Under the claw won't give anything away when the competion gets blown away. They kind'a have an idea if you have big-O intakes sticking out.

T, the K&N RU-2780's that are the most popular around here will fit just fine under the claw. The rear one just has to be turned toward the front about a 1/4 turn. I ran that set up for a year before I got the confidence to start cutting on the claw. Whoever came up with the 2780's as giving the most air flow and still fitting under the claw must have gone through alot of trial and error, they utilize every inch if available space. Should you ever decide to trim the claw, they look good turned out into the wind too. These were the same filters that were on the bike prior to exposing them with a grinding wheel. In fact, I didnt even change the way they were positioned. The angle they are in the photo is exactly how they sat under the cover. If you look close you can see how they fit into the raised areas of the claw before they were exposed.

Last edited:
Back