THEY tried some special compound road racing tires in the hope they would provide more traction But it ended up they didn't work as well as the standard MC tires

You'd perhaps find that the current lack of thickness of the surface layer on salt flats may also have had something to do with it.
Funny the way the car tyre advocates completely dismiss the non-use of car tyres on the race track yet the mere mention of experimenting with them on the salt flats somehow means Triumph is all for them. Hardly surprising though; they do need to clutch at straws.

When Toyota Camrys start using racing slicks on their road cars, as they do on their NASCARs, I will start listening to the racing tyres on bikes argument. In addition, when Honda and Yamaha start putting racing slicks on their production bikes as OEM, I may even be convinced that racing tyres are the way to go for everyday use. The fact that Triumph and Carpenter tried car tyres shows that they are not against them, but rather that they did not work for that particular application. If I ever decide to race my bike at the Utah salt flats then I will take that under consideration.

You'd perhaps find that the current lack of thickness of the surface layer on salt flats may also have had something to do with it.
Funny the way the car tyre advocates completely dismiss the non-use of car tyres on the race track yet the mere mention of experimenting with them on the salt flats somehow means Triumph is all for them. Hardly surprising though; they do need to clutch at straws.
YES we would use CAR TIRES if they helped us win races

When Toyota Camrys start using racing slicks on their road cars, as they do on their NASCARs, I will start listening to the racing tyres on bikes argument. In addition, when Honda and Yamaha start putting racing slicks on their production bikes as OEM, I may even be convinced that racing tyres are the way to go for everyday use. The fact that Triumph and Carpenter tried car tyres shows that they are not against them, but rather that they did not work for that particular application. If I ever decide to race my bike at the Utah salt flats then I will take that under consideration.
Production bike class uses production bikes and production motorcycle tyres not car tyres. Not because car tyres don't work but because motorcycle tyres work better

My point is, neither cars nor motorcycles use racing tyres on the road, not only because they aren't good for the job, but because they are illegal. Therefore the racing tyre argument is nonsense.

... and the counterpoint is that the best motorcycle tires for one's ride(s) work better on motorcycles, in virtually all conditions, than do car tires. The critical difference, despite oppositional blather is the comparative cost/lifespan between the two tire types. I can see using the square tire if you are primarily riding lots of miles on flat and level slabs, but I still wouldn't choose them for myself due to their distinctly diminished attributes and qualities vs. a MT.

Personally, I would never again (former darksider am I) compromise performance, agility/handing and, yes, safety, by using a less than top quality MC tire that delivers optimally in those areas and, given my aggressive riding style, are primarily for the benefit of myself, my passengers and for others with whom I share the road.

Last edited:
Now that makes sense, it always amazes me that those that never have profess to know more than those who have. And those who have could care less about those who never have, and their opinions on a subject they have no experienced in. I have tried both and don't care what others think,pro or con. It's what works best for you, to decide freely without prejudice and enjoy the ride.

I also have a Boss Hoss V8 bike and for years the same discussion is on their site. Many love the car tires and many think they should not be on a motorcycle. I say the most important thing is to just have a tire that don't leak!

Now that makes sense, it always amazes me that those that never have profess to know more than those who have. And those who have could care less about those who never have, and their opinions on a subject they have no experienced in. I have tried both and don't care what others think,pro or con. It's what works best for you, to decide freely without prejudice and enjoy the ride.
Could not Have said that better myself:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back