Converted from a Vmax

Hello from Calgary Alberta Canada. I have been reading lots of the info on this site, so thought I better say hello and introduce myself.

I just picked up a 2011 Roadster after selling my 2003 Vmax I owned for 4 years. Attached is a pic of the old bike, I will get a pic of the new bike in the next couple of days. The vmax was/is a great bike, but I much prefer the rocket already. Handling/fuel range/comfort are much better on the rocket, and I should be able to convince the Mrs. to join me for a ride on this one!

I finished my first trip and nearly 2000 KM (1300 miles) on the new wheels this weekend, I am very impressed. The bike is stock aside from some bolt on accessories; sissy bar, windshield, etc. This bike is fantastic and I cant wait to get some more miles on it. It definitely draws it's fair share of attention, but for good reason I suppose! My next mod is going to be the handlebar risers, having the bars back a couple of inches will be perfect.

My only issue so far is what sounds like the decel popping that I have read about, and what sounds like the odd backfire. It isn't loud, but it is what sounds like a pop from under the seat and also only happens on decel or when I blip the throttle a little. I am not sure if this is a warranty issue or not, as most have said it seems to be fairly common, and only fixed by replacing the exhaust & adding a tuner / time on the dyno. Anyways, any input appreciated while I dig through this site further to see what I can find.

Cheers,

Jason
welcome to the club Jason
were you at the nelson RAT gathering this past weekend!! there were seven R3 by all acount there, three from calgary the rest from BC

Welcome to the site from 'merica.
I wouldn't worry about the "pop",
you'll be wanting to change stuff,
you can fine tune it then.
Right now, just enjoy it.;)
oh, and get yourself a real horn.
Stebel, badboy, one of them 139 Db. air horns.
easy to hook up and a LOUD, cheap first mod.
You can get familiar with the undertank side of your new bike
without causing yourself any grief.
skip

Pic of the new bike..

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't see me changing the exhaust this year. I actually like the look/sound of the stock exhaust, but I am sure I will want more of a rumble as I get used to it, so will have to live with the pop/small backfire for the time being. It isnt bad as I mentioned, just noticeable. The rocket sounds much better than the stock Vmax. I drilled out the rivets and took the plates off of it's exhaust, and that helped get it away from the Z50 sound it came with from the Yamaha factory.

Albertaduke, I actually did make it by the meet out of pure luck. We were passing through Nelson and stayed there the night to avoid the rain. I didn't have my bike there at the meet, it was at the Motel, but we wandered through and had a look, lots of nice Triumph's and a nice bunch of people! The band they had at the bar was great too, haha.

Here is a pic of my new wheels, pretty much stock as I mentioned other than the gloss black (which from what I have read is the faster paint choice) and a couple bolt ons. As I said, absolutely loving it so far. Every time I walk past it in the garage I smile, like a kid in a candy shop, haha.

Cheers,

Jason

Attachments

• 20120724_121837.jpg
    20120724_121837.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 63
Sorry, one other question...service manual, is it the same for the the 2011 as all of the other years? While searching I seen there are a couple floating around, but not sure if they apply to the roadsters as well as the Classic/touring etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't see me changing the exhaust this year. I actually like the look/sound of the stock exhaust, but I am sure I will want more of a rumble as I get used to it, so will have to live with the pop/small backfire for the time being. It isnt bad as I mentioned, just noticeable. The rocket sounds much better than the stock Vmax. I drilled out the rivets and took the plates off of it's exhaust, and that helped get it away from the Z50 sound it came with from the Yamaha factory.

Albertaduke, I actually did make it by the meet out of pure luck. We were passing through Nelson and stayed there the night to avoid the rain. I didn't have my bike there at the meet, it was at the Motel, but we wandered through and had a look, lots of nice Triumph's and a nice bunch of people! The band they had at the bar was great too, haha.

Here is a pic of my new wheels, pretty much stock as I mentioned other than the gloss black (which from what I have read is the faster paint choice) and a couple bolt ons. As I said, absolutely loving it so far. Every time I walk past it in the garage I smile, like a kid in a candy shop, haha.

Cheers,

Jason

well if and when you want to ride with company let me know I got the yellow R3 you might have seen at the rally in nelson

Welcome from B.C. VMax and the Rocket - both great bikes for different reasons. I had the decel pop issue as well. Putting on Jardine exhaust and a dyno tune finally got rid of it for good.

Thanks guys, that will be my winter project this year...I have sunk enough money into it for this year.

Albertaduke, I did see your bike, it was parked outside of the fenced area when I seen it. Definitely up for a ride sometime.

Back