CES exhaust observations

R3Tex

Living Legend
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
To those of you who own this exhaust system...please post your thoughts on improvements, etc. I personally think they are $hit hot as is, but I'm sure Trevor would appreciate the feedback. I'll go first...

Fit, finish, and performance are spot on in my book. The pipes put the power low in the rpm range where it is more usable on the street and they add to the looks of the bike. The only slightly negative Comment I have is that they are hot on the right leg. However, I understand that any system currently available for our bikes have the same issue. If there were a set of heat shields readily available I would buy them in a second. I will fashion a heat shield to protect my leg while stopped and be happy, happy, happy.

Thing is Les rides around and doesn't seem to notice the heat from his CES headers . As far as other brands go Travelguys Perfect Storms don't seem to need heat shields , so Gothlander reckons .. he and Mitchy have had there's for years now. Got me stumped to be honest.

Thing is Les rides around and doesn't seem to notice the heat from his CES headers . As far as other brands go Travelguys Perfect Storms don't seem to need heat shields , so Gothlander reckons .. he and Mitchy have had there's for years now. Got me stumped to be honest.
Could get Donny to fabricate a heat sheild from a sheet of corrogated iron. :D

@R3Tex, I have nothing to add to CES pipes at this stage. My bike was at CES for 3 weeks with me dropping in every other day getting them to what I have. There have been a few minor changes from what I have to the production system. like the location of the O2 sensor, where the tail pipe on the headers finish's, the size of the baffle in the muffler. Trevor has made a few different mufflers for local blokes who can drop by to make sure things fit. He used my bike while it was there to make a system with a dump pipe out each side and no baffle for the first set of CES to go to Western Aust. The muffler Bat has that produced 169hp on the dyno is shorter than the production muffler Trevor supplies wich is shorter again than mine.

Finish = perfect , could just look at them for ages

Fit= perfect, 10 mins job done

Heat= Don't care to much fun riding to worry about it

Power= Will find out next week

No heat problems with mine, must be my hairy legs acting as a insulator!!
mine were "one offs" to suit the Classic with floor boards back when we made them and I tucked the pipes in close to the engine block, the big difference between mine and the current production sets is the centre pipe comes out further from the head before it turns...... that was done as a cost thing as there would be 2 more bends and welds and the main brief for Trevor looks and cost.
I'm sure if Trevor was asked he would look at doing some retro fit heat shields......

Last edited:
This CES system WITH expert dyno tune has completely transformed my motor. :thumbsup:
When I installed trip K&Ns, TORs, PCV+AT with HansO's tune the improvement difference was very noticeable.
Going to the CES with dyno tune was at least twice more that difference.

Most impressive to me is the increase and smoothness of the torque curve which gives me better throttle control through the twisties. Second would be the huge, over a 1000 RPM extension of the HP curve. Third would be the overall across the board (2500 to 6800 RPM) performance improvement. Getting up to and cruising at 80 to 90+ feels much more effortless. The Fourth would be the AWESOME sound of my engine, both going through the gears or buzzing down a highway at 80+. I now find myself on roads where I must keep below 80, shifting down to 4th just to hear the MUSIC!!!
I don't yet know about top end gains; BUT, I will state I ran my speedo up to 135 mph in 4th before shifting into 5th and it buried before I had to back out!
I did burn holes in the right calf area of my Dickies and waterproof riding pants. I do feel the heat from the engine on the right side more than before. SO WHAT!!! I requested the top of the muffler come out at the rear axle. It is about 2" higher than that which required me to leave my right side pannier home for my 1000 mile inaugural ride. I shall fix this somehow by altering the stainless pipe leading to the muffler.
If you are looking to get more out of your Rocket and willing to spend the moola, skip the TORs or other slip-ons and go for the CES System. You WILL NOT regret the decision.
Thank You Trevor and Leslie!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
PS: My tuner says it IS the comparative graphic improvements on the dyno that really count and not the actual amount of the readings which vary all over. I pondered this for a moment . . . Sorry, @Bat; but I just ain't buying that 169 on a stock engine! Nevertheless, you win! :D

Obviously the motor model, pegs, boards and rider's leg configuration affect this.
I have NO problems when using the stock Roadster pegs. Using the forward pegs on the engine guard are the issue and I will not change them because I can easily reach the rear brake with my heel and I use them frequently due to my ***'d right hip. I can avoid the burn by simply getting used to placing my foot a couple inches more outboard. :thumbsup:
I am also going to have a leather knee to boot legging made, just to be sure. Reckon it may look cool as well?

Back