Brakeaway cruise control for 2011 Roadster Has any one fitted

Has anyone fitted a Brakeaway Cruise Control, Part Number 5CP02 to their R3R 2011 Model. I contacted Brakeaway and they responded that they do not have a compatable model for Rocket 3 after 2010. I'm sure I have read somewhere that people have fitted them. If so let me know if you experienced any problem fitting it (does it hit tank at full lock?) and whether it operates OK. Don't really want to go for an electronic unit as only want to rest my hand now and then. Is there anything just as good as a Brakeaway cruise control?
I have one on my R3T, but truth to tell, it doesn't work that well. It has trouble holding the throttle in place, as the r3t's throttle return spring is pretty stiff. I'm not that pleased with it.

Yes...it goes right over the throttle grip...no washers...bad memory. It has been on there for a year...lots of sleep and more than one beer since then

Thanks R3Tex, just ordered one.. I remembered how nice it was and don't know why I hadn't had another one for over 6 years.. although I do know why Im looking now.. I have a bad right shoulder and on long rides, I typically cant go more than 15 min. - 1/2 hour without having to release my throttle hand and shake it out for a few minutes to loosen it up and relieve pain.. this is going to make those long trips much nicer again.. :)

I have one on my R3T, but truth to tell, it doesn't work that well. It has trouble holding the throttle in place, as the r3t's throttle return spring is pretty stiff. I'm not that pleased with it.

I have one on my '07 Classic and wouldn't be without it now (the same unit has been on 3 bikes now).

Is the return spring on the R3T that much stiffer than the Classic? The "grip" of the Brakeaway can be adjusted, have you tried that?

Ogre turned me onto the GO CRUISE throttle control last year.
I have used it ever since and love it! Several of my riding buddies have also went to it. Go Cruise is simple in design, inexpensive, effective and SAFE.
Cost is only about $20 and installation takes all of 30 seconds!
Best Regards,
1olbull

:bch:
Mate that looks like the goods. So simple but effective at $20 and rooting around with the throttle or bar ends. Will give this a go, thanks Ol Bull.

I ordered one as well for my 2014. I sent an email to the company and asked why they were not suggested for any rocket past 2010 and the response was;

"After 2011 they went to a different brake lever design and it hasn't been tested with the BrakeAway."

Based on the recommendations of the members on this forum I decided to order one. I've heard nothing but decent reviews.

I ordered one as well for my 2014. I sent an email to the company and asked why they were not suggested for any rocket past 2010 and the response was;

"After 2011 they went to a different brake lever design and it hasn't been tested with the BrakeAway."

Based on the recommendations of the members on this forum I decided to order one. I've heard nothing but decent reviews.

Ok.. I got mine in and installed it... it is working for now but I have to admit.. I was about to send it back.

this is a very finicky lil ***** on my 2012 Roadster.. you really have to make sure your alignment is pretty much spot on when installing because it does push the limits on fitment. (mainly due to the fat brake lever)

I had to change the dial on my brake lever to max out to full stretch, + every time I would tighten down the brake pivot screw it would tweak the alignment enough to make the throttle so it wouldn't snap back.

It does and will work, and after my patience settles down again, Im sure I can go look into it with a fresh mind and figure out how and where the fine tuning needs to be done.

Oh.. I did seem to have to add to 2 washers to the little angle bracket that goes onto the brake pivot

Ok.. I got mine in and installed it... it is working for now but I have to admit.. I was about to send it back.

this is a very finicky lil ***** on my 2012 Roadster.. you really have to make sure your alignment is pretty much spot on when installing because it does push the limits on fitment. (mainly due to the fat brake lever)

I had to change the dial on my brake lever to max out to full stretch, + every time I would tighten down the brake pivot screw it would tweak the alignment enough to make the throttle so it wouldn't snap back.

It does and will work, and after my patience settles down again, Im sure I can go look into it with a fresh mind and figure out how and where the fine tuning needs to be done.

Oh.. I did seem to have to add to 2 washers to the little angle bracket that goes onto the brake pivot

Thanks for the input, I guess that explains the comment from breakaway about the lever. Do you have a pic of the install. I received my breakaway unit on Saturday. I was glad to see that the upgraded the friction adjustment setscrew.

IMG_20131104_142143.jpg
Thanks for the input, I guess that explains the comment from breakaway about the lever. Do you have a pic of the install. I received my breakaway unit on Saturday. I was glad to see that the upgraded the friction adjustment setscrew.
Just took a few pics.. You will notice on image IMG_..._142226.jpg you can see where the fat part of the brake lever would rub against the aluminum piece on the brake away (this is why I had to set my brake dial to 1 vs 4), on the bottom views you can see where I added the washers (without the washers this adjustment maxes out and possibly contributes to mis-alignment after tightening the brake pivot bolt).. in which you can see I ended up loosing mine because I didn't tighten it enought before I went home that night.. felt it hit my knee the next morning

Attachments

• IMG_20131104_142209.jpg
    IMG_20131104_142209.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20131104_142226.jpg
    IMG_20131104_142226.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20131104_142247.jpg
    IMG_20131104_142247.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
although r3tex looks like he did it w/o washers.. Im going to have to double check my installment to see whats different.. but chances are.. my alignment wasn't within tolerance

Back