captain jack

Turbocharged
The bike is still in France but it had also developed a problem with starting. This is not new, it has happened before but I still don't know the fault. Sometimes all that can be heard is the clicking of the starter relay & sometimes I can hear the starter solenoid trying to kick in. Whichever it is it will eventually start without hesitation, and I don't know where to look for the answer. I am considering new heavy duty leads to the starter, it's had new relay & a new battery although some time ago. If anyone has an idea please let me know, I want to get it sorted while doing the Detent spring.

Either the key-switch or the Clutch switch are the most likely causes.

When you get it back - take things off - clean them, replace and see.

It's sounds very like insufficient VOLTAGE where it's needed. I get this on my Guzzi every so often.
It's generally corrosion SOMEWHERE. If it's inside a sealed switch - that's not good.

On the Guzzi I have an emergency lead/switch to engage the solenoid straight from the FAT wire.

Every connection (plug, swith etc) makes a minor attenuation to voltage - If there are to many - and the starter circuit with so many **** cut outs is a real belter - then if the battery is a little bit low it can be enough for the drain to the solenoid being enough to drop voltage to the relay so it chatters. or backs off - If the solenoid is engaging but motor not spinning . Then CLEAN starter motor.

On the Guzzi it's generally a ****ty old MOLEX pin in a multi connector that's reached the point of no return.
And I'm getting to the point of rewiring it from scratch - WITHOUT ruddy multipin-plugs.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the clutch switch, but it could also be any of the stuff everyone else has suggested too.

Look for a thread titled" when you're starter just goes click" by honker . Seems the wiring for the starter can't pass enough voltage at times to turn the starter, wiring thru the ignition being the culprit. You can add a piggy back relay which will feed direct voltage to your starter eliminating the problem. I had the same issue for about two years, seems to happen when a group of people are watching. Dealer spent over a grand replacing stuff then gave up and told me to " live with it ", and wouldn't schedule me for service anymore. Less than 10 bucks and 15 minutes cured it . The info is here or on the .com site.

Back