Avon Cobra Tyre Review

Hedgehog

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket III
Hi Guys,

Just finished initial testing of this tyre on both the Rocket and V-Rod... so thought it might be of interest.

Anyone else tried it?

Hedgehog.

http://bigbikemad.com/avon-cobra-tyre-review.html

PS - can anyone advise me re ownership of the main pic we've used?? - We traced it to this forum but would really like to give credit to the owner...

Hi Guys,

Just finished initial testing of this tyre on both the Rocket and V-Rod... so thought it might be of interest.

Anyone else tried it?

Hedgehog.

http://bigbikemad.com/avon-cobra-tyre-review.html

PS - can anyone advise me re ownership of the main pic we've used?? - We traced it to this forum but would really like to give credit to the owner...
certainly a good tire just like the bridgestone which is half the price BTW

That's a popular tire choice for our big gals, Hedgehog.

I vote yes on your posting the reviews.

It would be a great service if you folks would review the Bridgestone Exedra Max 240 rear and/or their 130 front tires. They seem to be the best value and one of the best performing meats available to us and at the best prices out there for Rocket III tires.

A popular combo here is Avon Cobra on the front with the Bridgestone Exedra Max on the rear (240/55-16) - yes, it's higher profile, but that's all positive. The general view is that the Cobra rear is much better than the Metzler and in my experience it was an excellent tyre, especially on a dry surface, pretty much how you found it. In the wet I found it a bit skittish and would loose traction too easily. The Bridgestone is easily the best tyre choice (given there's only 3 to choose from) in my opinion.

The front Cobra is awesome.

Just one question, why did you include a picture of a set of tyres that aren't Cobras? And that main pic in the article is of a Harley and I don't recall seeing it posted on here, although it could have come from someone's photo gallery.

This was my "review" of the Avon Cobras - albeit it was in reference to the R3T.

'I am a complete convert to the Avon Cobras on my Touring. I will never forget the first time I switched over from the Metz 880's to the Cobras. I felt like Valentino Rossi! Immediately I picked up several degrees of highly stable and controllable lean angle. The ride was seriously improved; it felt like the tires had become an active partner of the suspension; harshness decreased and stability increased - and markedly so.

As for "skittishness" in the rain; I haven't noticed this. Down here in Fla. we've been known to have some pretty significant rain pop up and my Cobras have handled this rain with aplomb. Of course, I recognize the power differential between my Touring and a standard R3, so this might not translate over very well.

I have 6K on my current set and they're not showing much, if any, wear. Should be good for at least 10K.

I run 40/40 cold.

All things considered - I think the Cobras are the absolute BEST tires you can run on the Touring.'

Due for a front tyre soon, had a Cobra then tried a Metz, will be going back to Cobra to match up with the Bridgestone Exedra Max 240/55-16
Be interesting to see a couple more pics of the Hardley abit further round the corner as It looks almost past the point of no return :eek:

Due for a front tyre soon, had a Cobra then tried a Metz, will be going back to Cobra to match up with the Bridgestone Exedra Max 240/55-16
Be interesting to see a couple more pics of the Hardley abit further round the corner as It looks almost past the point of no return :eek:

I bought an azaro for the front it is a 140 aspect ratio vs 150 for the avon cobra I hear it helps in initiating turns we shall see. got still some life in the cobra front so maybe in the fall we will know

I like the Cobras a lot on my Touring, due to 50% better mileage, but both they and Metz were fine on grip, etc, probably better than my abilities could discern.

Recent Cobra convert here. The tires, not GI Joe's arch enemies.

Loving my set of Cobra whitewall tires a lot. Triumph's new Thunderbird LT ships with the whitewalls in the exact dimensions as the R3T, first ever radial whitewalls as OE fit on a motorcycle. Had a hell of a time finding a set, too, as they're new. The difference in ride quality and handling compared to used up Metzeler Marathons was shocking, and the bike looks awesome with whitewalls. I really have to take some new photos of the bike.

The photo strikes me as possibly being a screenshot of a cruiser lowsiding video I saw many a moon ago.

Back