2013 Rocket 3 Touring should Buy used or new?

Victor Chiappetta

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi all.Recently had a test ride on the sport model and I was hugely impressed.My wife loves to ride along so I imagine that the Touring model would be the perfect bike for us.
The local stealer ship has a leftover 13 and 14,both of which they want 16,100 for out the door.They won't budge,I pushed pretty hard.
I also found 2 used examples of 2013's.
One with 2100 miles just out of warranty and another with 7000 miles under warranty until sometime in December.
My riding style I wont be afraid to twist the throttle but I have never owned a sport bike so compared to some other Rocket owners I will probably seem tame.
Are there any reliability issues to be worked out or have these models been around so long now that there shouldn't be much to be concerned with?
Seems like the earlier models had some issues that have been ironed out.
Looking for some peace of mind regarding reliability and if there are no major concerns obviously buying used makes a lot more sense.I have a dealer ten minutes from home FYI.
Oh yeah asking price is 11,500 for both used models.

I think you're pretty safe buying a used 13. Pretty fortunate spot for you as you apparently have 4 solid choices. If it were me and I bought new, it'd be the 14. But given the 2 13s available, I'd be saving the money and buying the low mileage used one! Depending on add-one and color preference you may have. Long winded answer, but feel confident with the used bikes!!

You should be able to get new 13 and 14 models cheaper than that. Check some other dealers around the country, if only for a bargaining tool. I know a dealer in Frederick who has a few old models that he would be happy to get rid of. Where in the USA are you? btw, you can add bags to a Roadster and make it tour very easily.

Hello Victor and welcome from VA. I have a 2014 R3T with 28K miles on it now. The '14 has ABS which work great at 85 MPH as tested by yours truely to avoid spinning cages on the freeway. Of the two new bikes, I would surely say go with the '14 over the '13 for that reason alone, and it is a year newer thus has slightly more value.
Of the 2 used bkes, I would probably go for the one under warrenty still. The mileage difference is not much by the way I ride and with the warrenty still in affect, I'd go that way.
Now, head over to the introduce yourself section and tell us about your riding life. Again, welcome.

I bought mine under warranty used. Some guys think they can handle "the beast" but after living with it for a while trade in for something else, hence a good deal. What Boog says makes great sense. My 2013 doesn't have ABS-- not a deal breaker for me-- but if given the choice, a good thing to have and also a selling point down the road. I love the touring.

I too think they are asking a little much for the '13. There is one here locally, for less.

Don't miss this INCREDIBLE deal: 2013 Triumph Motorcycles Rocket III Touring, BRAND NEW leftover, on sale for $13,299! That's $4000 off MSRP! Come in and see this beautiful touring bike Today! # T559578

http://www.empire-cycle.com/

At that price it may be worth it to buy and have shipped.

bob

Welcome from NJ, I also have a 2013 R3T. I would say always buy as new as you can afford, but that being said I have only had one mechanical issue with my bike since I bought it new, and that was from improper set up from the dealer.

I would also agree that abs is a nice option, as the rear will lock up pretty easily. ABS was available on 2013 models. I did it twice when new but have adjusted to it since.

The only difference between the 2013 and the 2014 is throttle by wire.

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited:
If you have a choice between ABS and no-ABS bikes, buy the ABS one.

ABS isn't necessary 99.9% of the time, but that one time when you are surprised and panic and grab all the brakes it will save your life, and help you keep the rubber side down. Anyone can learn to brake beautifully when they have time to prepare to brake, it's what happens when you are surprised that's important.

This is what happens when they simulate that situation - a rider that panics (as we all can) and grabs all the brakes. On both bikes, the rider is squeezing as hard as he can. Only on one of them does he stay upright.

New bikes will also give you a 2-year warranty, that's nothing to sneeze at, in case the bike develops an issue.

Back