Your thought on touring?

Dawg68

Nitrous
Ride
2014 R3R / 2017 R3T
good day all,
Well my 2014 R3R has close to 40,000km and my 2015 Triumph Explorer has close to 20,000km. I ride in pretty much all weather. Once I wore out the Metz tires on the Rocket I changed to the Avon Cobras and I find that I don't care much for these tires (rear to be specific) in the wet. No issues with the front Avon whatsoever. When I started riding the Explorer, obviously different tires all together I find that in the rain, light to heavy downpours I pretty much stick to the road, great all season bike! I prefer to tour on the Rocket and I'm planning a 3 month North American road trip. I'm almost tempted to replace both bikes with the R3T because of the smaller rear tire for better stability in wet weather. I love my roadster but I don't want to be worrying about rainy days on a long trip. There is not a lot of tire options out there so would the switch to the R3T be worth the investment?

Thanks

To hell what anyone else thinks as long as you are happy. The R3T is set up better for long journeys.

Well said Sir and thanks! I'm not all about the upgrades to increase the power as I know these machines have all I need, at this point it's all about comfort, fun and long trips. I just figured that the R3T would do the job a little better in different weather scenarios.

I have ridden mine in the rain LOTS, I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe in the rain, even when I went from the 180 to the 200. However, I just went with Avon front and back, haven't been in the rain with them yet. I always take it fairly slow in the rain until the tires get up to temperature, then I ride normal with no issues.
+1 on the seat if your going to long haul.

I have ridden mine in the rain LOTS, I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe in the rain, even when I went from the 180 to the 200. However, I just went with Avon front and back, haven't been in the rain with them yet. I always take it fairly slow in the rain until the tires get up to temperature, then I ride normal with no issues.
+1 on the seat if your going to long haul.

I should clairify, I don't think it's the Avon tire itself...tread pattern. it's the fact that the 240 I find will hydro a lot easier than a slightly narrower tire. Personally I found the 240 stock Metz did better in the rain than the Avon. I love the Avon in dry conditions, sticks like glue.

I'm sure you will have a different experience with the Avon on the R3T. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts when you ride on them in the rain.

I should clairify, I don't think it's the Avon tire itself...tread pattern. it's the fact that the 240 I find will hydro a lot easier than a slightly narrower tire. Personally I found the 240 stock Metz did better in the rain than the Avon. I love the Avon in dry conditions, sticks like glue.

I'm sure you will have a different experience with the Avon on the R3T. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts when you ride on them in the rain.
IMHO. I had NO issues with the metz in the rain, or in the cold, just wear down too **** quick. I had an Ecedra on the back once, not the max, it gave me a little slide in a traffic circle one cold, wet morning, but that was kinda on me, they weren't up to temperature yet, I hit t a little hard. Let you know about the Avon WHEN It gets rainy.

Back