your feedback on used rockets.

Texas_Jack

Standard Bore
Ride
Kaw VN2K
Hello guys, I'm new here and I am not sure if this thread belongs here, but here it goes.

I do not own a Rocket yet, but I will be taking that step soon.

I originally intended to buy a brand new 2014, as I like the idea of more torque, ABS, and the blacked out look...

But, unforseen financial complications put the price out of my range

Regardless, I intend to get one, even if it is used.

I currently ride an 05 Vulcan 2000, and I love it, but I also fell in love with a rocket I test drove last june.

My local dealer has an used (very slightly, odo: 650 miles) 09 rocket roadster(mfg. Date late 08) for around $9,000 after fees.

The point of my post is to get some feedback from you guys on what the best models are, the cost of ownership, and common issues these motorcycles can run into.

Thank you in advance for all your help, and I apologize if I started a thread in the wrong section.

Cheers.

Go for the 09 and save a packet!

Did we all manage without ABS till now?!

A 20 quid cable, a laptop and a free bit of software and you can unlock the potential of the engine and remove the torque restriction in lower gears.

Cost of ownership, probably a bit more than the kawa. You'll find yourself misbehaving more on the rocket so you'll chew tyres quicker and use more fuel.

That's the whole point in a Rocket though :sneaky:

I would go the 09 route also if its at a Triumph Dealer you should get a warranty with it. If you change your mind send me the dealer info. Also is it a standard or a Classic? Easy to tell the Classic have floor boards and a two tone paint.

I would go the 09 route also if its at a Triumph Dealer you should get a warranty with it. If you change your mind send me the dealer info. Also is it a standard or a Classic? Easy to tell the Classic have floor boards and a two tone paint.

It's a roadster, 09, footpegs and a lot of chrome (which I would ditch) l. Every time I go see it, the reps there tell me "it's got your name on it, just take it" haha.

Go for the 09 and save a packet!

Did we all manage without ABS till now?!

A 20 quid cable, a laptop and a free bit of software and you can unlock the potential of the engine and remove the torque restriction in lower gears.

Cost of ownership, probably a bit more than the kawa. You'll find yourself misbehaving more on the rocket so you'll chew tyres quicker and use more fuel.

That's the whole point in a Rocket though :sneaky:

Good point on the abs.

I'll have to do some studying on that torque restriction removal.

Anyway, are there any common issues I should be worried about?

I sure read a lot of transmission issues from owners with earlier and some later models.

I wouldn't want to make a big purchase and have to keep it at the shop.

My V2K has never given me any problems outside of burned out headlights and tire shred.

G'day Jack .. Roadsters have the footpegs further back , a different seat .. but otherwise basically the same bike as the earlier Standards/ Classics. I actually thought the Roadster models only came out in 2010 :thumbsdown:...anyway 650 miles is nothing. Cost you'll encounter are fuel (cause you'll not be able to stop riding it) .. tyres (as you won't be able to resist nailing it away from stop signs / green lights) .. and speeding tickets .. I agree with your Dealer .. go for it.

G'day Jack .. Roadsters have the footpegs further back , a different seat .. but otherwise basically the same bike as the earlier Standards/ Classics. I actually thought the Roadster models only came out in 2010 :thumbsdown:...anyway 650 miles is nothing. Cost you'll encounter are fuel (cause you'll not be able to stop riding it) .. tyres (as you won't be able to resist nailing it away from stop signs / green lights) .. and speeding tickets .. I agree with your Dealer .. go for it.

Thanks! I wasn't aware that Roadsters came later. Anyway, it has pegs, the 3 into 1 into 3 exhaust (two pipes on the right, one on the left) and last owner put a mid-size fairing on it. I know! It's a great deal. Pretty sure I'll pull the trigger on it come the new year.

So no tranny issues on later models?

Just make sure the engine serial number is higher then 337294 the serial number is on the right side of the engine towards the rear right where the exhaust header starts to go down and branch off. Do not mistake it for the VIN number of the bike. It is easy to see without removing anything you do not even have to get on your knees to read it. What color is the beast Phantom Black?

3 pipes isn't a Roadster. Roadsters are 2010 and newer, all have ABS, FUEL GUAGE, GEAR INDICATOR, pegs further back, black disc centres, 2 pipes (originally). Sounds like it's a Standard - the best ones, by the way. Triumph dealer should know better than to try to pass it off as a Roadster.

Back