rickb

.020 Over
Has anyone tried the Xenon/Kryptons headlamps that are on the newr3 website? I need something brighter than the stock headlamps as my old eyes aren't that good anymore after dark. If you haven't tried those are there any others that you would recommend?

Rick,

At that price you haven't got much to lose. I'm pretty sure I shelled out $65 when I converted mine.

P.S. The Xenon headlights make the smaller parking lights look like crap you might want to get a couple of those in xenon as well and change them all out at the same time.

I purchased them (the blue tint ones) and wish I had something brighter. There is quite a few comments on other choices within the threads here so I would suggest some homework before you purchase. I'm not convienced I made the best choice, although "price" is something I based this decision on. Cheap is not going ot get you what you expect.

I'm really puzzled as to the difference in the beam focus (trajectory) between low & high beam. If you set the angle to put the "high" beams where you need them for night driving on the highway, that puts the low beam about 20 to 30 feet in front of the bike. Not enough viewing distance if you ask me. If you adjust for low beam comfort (50 to 75 feet out), high beams have you looking for coons in the tree tops.

Not sure if this is the nature of the new bulbs or not. Don't recall how the stock bulbs were but thinking about the same as far as trijectory matters.

What's to loose is: going through the motions of changing out the bulbs & not being happy with the subtle change of brilliancy. My input (and experience) only.

Good luck.

I'm really puzzled as to the difference in the beam focus (trajectory) between low & high beam.
I think this is caused by the shape of the reflector and not the bulb itself. The reflectors that come with the bike may be distorted due to the fact they have pilot bulbs in a small 5" housing. Probably the best way to fix this would be to install some of the aftermarket 5" housings and loose the pilot bulbs, but none of the ones I've seen are cheap.

Has anyone tried the Xenon/Kryptons headlamps that are on the newr3 website? I need something brighter than the stock headlamps as my old eyes aren't that good anymore after dark. If you haven't tried those are there any others that you would recommend?

I got xenon bulbs from my dealer. They're much brighter but I don't think the pattern from the lamps is much different - ergo, they don't make that much difference on pitch black windy mountain roads.

Xsighting lighting makes a 5 3/4 lamp ($785 for 2). These are the most kick ass lights (Xenon/HID high and low beams) out there .

Adjustment

I too hated the light limitations you get at any minor headlamp adjustment you may try. Bulbs will help but Tomo is correct in saying the reflector is to blame. My solution was to grab the headlights by the gonads and yank the the things so they shine very high and now can see the tree tops as well as signs and the road without changing to high beam. I just don't care about oncoming traffic and have not had any problems with it. Stays on lowbeam for best results.

I'm not advocating PIAA bulbs, yet; but, I am giving them hard consideration. I've swapped to Xenon with no great appreciation for them...in fact I'm inclined to go back to the original halogens until such time as I go PIAA, if that be the course.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/index.php...ducts_id=259&utm_source=july&utm_medium=email
This add from bikerhiway is simply to illustrate the color temps relative to "Extra, Extreme, and the Super dooper pooper scooper" models. It also illustrate the color level range of halogen. Just add to the confusion, I hope that helps:D

The Auxillary Light Kit w/Fog Lights IS remarkable. The brightness (whiteness) of the two small 55w lamps put to shame the Xenon bulbs, and the spread of white light is **** near 90 degrees to each side. That means, seeing true color to the sides is possible, if only for a millisecond. I'm very glad to have it; there are many deer lurking in the shadows.

I found these Super Plasma 5000k bulbs: http://www.intakeone.com/Light_bulbs/PIAAgtxH4.htm

Last edited:
Back