Wompus Racks on Touring Models?

Jay

E pluribus unum
Ride
2023 Rocket 3 GT (Ego), 2021 Zero SR/S (Earth)
I am looking at getting a stronger rear rack for my 2013 Rocket Touring and considering the Wompus rack

Wompus Bike Racks - Heavy Duty Custom Built Steel Triumph Motorcycle Racks

On the site the seller lists a picture of racks for Touring and Custom, then in the price list he lists Classic, Custom, and Tour. When I contacted the seller and asked for clarification he sounded like he was under the impression that the rear fender and subframe of the Tour and Touring are the same. But he didn’t know there is both a Tour and Touring model of the Rocket.

First off, is there a difference in the rear subframe of the Tour and Touring models? I know there was a change to the rear tire size along the way, but not sure if there was a corresponding change to fender and frame.

Second, has anyone tried this rack on their Touring model? If so, I am interested in seeing how it mounts and if I will be able to keep the plates mounted for the quick release passenger backrest along with this rack.

Bought one a few years ago and didn't like how flimsy it was. It would twist at the support arms and I didn't trust it to hold my trunk steady and the wife on the seat during hard acceleration!
The fit wasn't too good either as I recall. Sent it back for a refund.
Had a buddy weld up a trunk support and plugged it into the sissy bar mounts. The trunk doesn't move and I know mamma will stay with me! :)

Bought one a few years ago and didn't like how flimsy it was. It would twist at the support arms and I didn't trust it to hold my trunk steady and the wife on the seat during hard acceleration!
The fit wasn't too good either as I recall. Sent it back for a refund.
Had a buddy weld up a trunk support and plugged it into the sissy bar mounts. The trunk doesn't move and I know mamma will stay with me! :)

Thanks for the feedback. That is the two concerns. I need a good platform for the trunk and want the confidence I won’t loose my passenger. I figured at a minimum if I could still use the quick release passenger backrest then mama would be fine, but if I can’t load out the trunk too then I can’t carry both our gear for extended trips.

I’ll have to look more at the Scootworks mount. I think they make something similar to the Wompus mount .

I mounted one to my Touring last summer. The width is right, but the little spacers they supplied didn't quite work out. Menards carries aluminum spacers of varying sizes so I measured and got the nearest to make it work. A little bummed with that, but it will work with a trip to the hardware store.

I mounted one to my Touring last summer. The width is right, but the little spacers they supplied didn't quite work out. Menards carries aluminum spacers of varying sizes so I measured and got the nearest to make it work. A little bummed with that, but it will work with a trip to the hardware store.

Any issues with flexing? Also, would you mind sharing a picture of the rack mounted, specifically the interface between the frame and the bags?

The 'Tourer' was a version of the 1st series R3 with 16" 240mm rear tire and the 17" front wheel. It was a marketing name for the 'Classic' with all the fruit such as screen, rider's backrest, panniers, foot boards etc. It was released before the 'Touring' came out in 2008 with the full dress look and 180mm 16"rear tyre with 16" Front. The 'Touring' frame is completely different to suit the narrower rear.

Any issues with flexing? Also, would you mind sharing a picture of the rack mounted, specifically the interface between the frame and the bags?

It has a Goldwing Interstate trunk mounted on it, and I have not seen any flexing occur; neither left right or up down.

I would love to post pics, but unfortunately the bike is buried in the garage, trunk side being the deepest. It will not be until May, I fear, until the weather allows for the garage to be cleaned out and the bike pulled. We have had a BAD winter with A LOT of snow. They are saying another 8 inches tonight and tomorrow. I'm running out of space to put it.

@rash_powder thanks. I hear you about the snow. I am stuck in Colorado on a two-day business trip that turned into a 4-day trip due to a blizzard blowing through. I just wish I had come prepared to enjoy the snow.

Back