cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Hi all, I'm still trying to get my wrecked 2013 engine running. Ignition switch and some other items were severed in the crash. I've done hours of searching here.
Ignition_Jumper_Illustration.jpg
Anyone have advice as to which wires to connect at the ignition harness? And do I need to have the tip sensor plugged in? I can get power to the fuses, and the 4 relays click when power applied, using a diagram I found here, but no gauge sweep or spark. Also should the emergency cut off switch wires be open, or closed? So much hassle.

i think that @DEcosse said it had to be hooked up
now if u have the connector u might try jumping the two wires with a 10 amp fuse to see if that will work.
have u checked the coils and injectors for 12 volts?
if the relays clicking that means that the coil in the relay is working does not mean that the points or the other wires are working. my opinion of a relay for example u have a light switch to turn your light on and off. now if u hook up another electric magnet to flip the switch u now have a relay.
i would think that u could take a 12 volt jumper wire with a fuse 10 amp and hook it to the coils/injectors and on the ground side use a 12 volt test light u could crank it and see if they are working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Turbo, I'll give that a try. The silly tip sensor has 3 wires. I just hate to start taking stuff off my running machines, to try to diagnose this spare motor. If the wiring harness wasn't so expensive, I'd buy one, just to make things simpler. The one on this wreck is a big mess. Gave it another go this afternoon, and started getting intermittent readings, so I said enough for the day. The wreck motor is from a 2013. I have one 2013 Roadster, and 2 05's, all 3 running great. I also have 2 Power Commander lll's, but they aren't listed as for a 2013 model, and besides, not getting the gauges to sweep, tells me there's something I'm missing. No tip sensor, no voltage regulator, and I think the map sensor is gone too. It's a mess for sure. I do get 12 volts at the purple wires on both gauges. The speedo glass and chrome canister is broke, but the innards "look" OK.;)

if u take your volt meter put it on ohms
then disconnect the three wires on the injectors or coils. there should be the same color wire o three of them use your ohm meter to make sure that all three connect. if this checks out then u can put a 12 volt power supply to one off them and it should power the coils and injectors.
then if the ecm works (grounds the coils and injectors) it should fire up.

Just for engine running test, only key-switch wires you need to connect are white and yellow - and you don't even need a switch, just joing together and can use the Kill/Run switch to turn on/off the power to the Ignition Circuit
TOS MUST connected (as I told you previously :D) and you cannot just jumper it out
And also as said before you need the CANBUS gauges connected
Just powering the coils and injectors is NOT going to be enough to make it run, as you will need to have the ECU powered with the pre-requisite interlocks satisfied.

Last edited:
Whatever arrangement of switches you use (i used an ignition switch from a Toyota Supra), when switched on they connect (colours on main harness plug);

• Green - White/Blue - Blue/Yellow together
  • Orange - Orange/Green together
  • Red - Red/Blue together
upload_2018-10-25_7-47-33.png

Now i do recall that the Roadster wiring diagrams wire colours were not perfect.

Also yes you need to bridge the Kill switch - Green & Green/Brown

upload_2018-10-25_7-48-49.png

upload_2018-10-25_7-49-37.png

Thanks Guys, now to hunt up a tip over switch. I've done so much research, I do get things mixed up. Old brain won't hold as much info as it used to. Kinda like a computer that's out of memory!;)

Back