Wiring a China LED headlamp help Please?

Allan S

Simple African lad with a Rocket
Ride
2016 Roadster-skunk
I was given 2 generic 5-3/4 inch LED replacement units that I want to install as friend is using one on his old Bonneville and it works really well. The link below shows the unit.

Hot 2x 5.75 Led Headlight For Triumph Speed/Street Triple, Thunderbird, Rocket 3 | eBay

Problem is that units came with a whopping great H4 plug (sold as plug and play- see the ebay advert in the above link) that cant possibly fit into the Rocket 3 headlight shell even though it is sold as fitting a Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster.

My friend has his wired his Bonneville directly without the plug and I want to do the same. I know that the parking light in the standard Oem unit wont work work unless I splice it in somehow but I dont need it so I was planning to just tape the two wires off.

I have a blue and white, a black and a Red and Blue wire on the bike wiring in the heaadlight shell and a Red, yellow and a black wire on the LED replacement. I removed the plug from the LED and see that the black wire on the LED was on the prong that corresponded to the blue and white wire on the bike had it been plugged in. Similarly, yellow prong on the LED corresponded to the Blue and red on the bike and the wire that was on the red prong corresponds to the black wire on the bike. The fact that red went to black confused me or i may have just gone ahead and wired it that way.
I want to wire them up using waterproof butt connectors and that way the light will fit the shell but I want to ask if that color connection arrangements looks right.

I was given 2 generic 5-3/4 inch LED replacement units that I want to install as friend is using one on his old Bonneville and it works really well. The link below shows the unit.

Hot 2x 5.75 Led Headlight For Triumph Speed/Street Triple, Thunderbird, Rocket 3 | eBay

Problem is that units came with a whopping great H4 plug (sold as plug and play- see the ebay advert in the above link) that cant possibly fit into the Rocket 3 headlight shell even though it is sold as fitting a Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster.

My friend has his wired his Bonneville directly without the plug and I want to do the same. I know that the parking light in the standard Oem unit wont work work unless I splice it in somehow but I dont need it so I was planning to just tape the two wires off.

I have a blue and white, a black and a Red and Blue wire on the bike wiring in the heaadlight shell and a Red, yellow and a black wire on the LED replacement. I removed the plug from the LED and see that the black wire on the LED was on the prong that corresponded to the blue and white wire on the bike had it been plugged in. Similarly, yellow prong on the LED corresponded to the Blue and red on the bike and the wire that was on the red prong corresponds to the black wire on the bike. The fact that red went to black confused me or i may have just gone ahead and wired it that way.
I want to wire them up using waterproof butt connectors and that way the light will fit the shell but I want to ask if that color connection arrangements looks right.
IMG_6410.JPG
IMG_6412.JPG

That colour arrangement would be very odd and you would expect the black to be the ground
I would double check -
Another way to check is to just plug your now cut off H4 male connector (that was originally on the lamp) into your OEM wiring socket and check again

That colour arrangement would be very odd and you would expect the black to be the ground
I would double check -
Another way to check is to just plug your now cut off H4 male connector (that was originally on the lamp) into your OEM wiring socket and check again
I would double check -

I did that and those colors are correct. ie. Had I plugged it in those colors would have met. if I go ahead could I damage something that would be a big fix??
Given that they fibbed about "plug and play" I'm a little leery. The advert clearly shows a rocket 3 and they have a good rating with eBay so I'm torn

I actually check by opening up the male part of the plug and checked which prong each color went to.

Those "appear" the be the same lights I have. Same box and all.

The H4 connectors fit inside with some doing, you have to turn the connector just right and get it to sit in the shallow area of the light.

Thanks guys.. got them to work eventually. Did either of Wylde CFH or IK9 splice in the parking light yellow wire and get a parking light? I read a post on here somewhere and cant find it now, from somebody who did that.

No parking light for mine. Not even a wire for it. Also, mine fit in the bucket with the ring that 1k9 removed.

There are a couple versions that have halos that have been wired to the parking light. And I believe the version @EasTexRIII had includes the hole for the parking bulb.

Back