Winter upgrades?

Akita Man

.040 Over
Guys,

I've done a fair amount of reading on this site. I have a 07 Std. Purchased it new in Sept 09. I immediately installed Jardines and the dealer remapped with the pipes installed. Minor backfiring...some due to exhaust leak that I fixed...the remainder I barely notice. I love the sound.

I am considering adding a PCIII and triple K&N filters. While I do this I may consider removal of the secondaries.

I have some questions...If I get a GI-pro is there any reason to remove the secondaries? Secondly, do all of these mods affect driveability in a negative way...I realize full power will be available in 1st - 3rd but this in only a 7% gain (from what I am told)...Does the bike become jerky in city driving or a pain to operate in commuting use?

3rd question...I am only getting 140 miles per tank now...how much may I expect this to drop considering I drive simularly?

Lastly I see many have done many of the same mods in conjunction with one another...has anyone done before and after dyno runs to confirm or deny performance gains. The tech I deal with at my Triumph dealer feels I may be giving up too much to get some peak HP and TQ gains...smaller curve but higher peak...but possible over all less usable power...is this possible?

I appreciate your help.

My secondary reason...My buddies 2002 BMW 130 HP K1200RS that was thoroughly flogged by the R3 last fall...he is upgrading to the 163 HP K1200 (06-08). I want to deal out a similar beating this spring...make him realize his purchase was fruitless.

Happy new year!!!!

In theory, anything that makes an engine work easier should improve the mpg (i.e. reduced air or fuel restriction.) All in the same breath, if your riding technique becomes more aggressive with the added power, of course the inverse will be experienced. I'm around 185 at the crank and get 30mpg if I can keep a stiff right wrist.

If the dealer installed the "factory" software for aftermarket pipes then your performance actually went down comparatively (against the gain from the pipes). The Triumph tune for pipes closes the secondaries a little more to richen the mix.
You will need to choose which way you want to go, PCIII or Tuneboy before you go any further. Both will get you where you want to go, but in different ways.
I'm a PCIII guy because it's plug and play as well as removable.
Tune boy is more involved, both in knowledge needed and invasion into the bikes software.
One of the tuneboy guys can tell you what they like in a package, I can give you what I like in a PCIII package.
What worked for me is PCIII, pipes, GiPro, triple filters and remove the secondaries. The premade PCIII software tune for this set up is "D&D's, K&N triple filters with secondaries removed". The brand names are unimportant, its the fact that its for performance exhaust, performance intake and without secondary throttle plates. If you choose later on to get a dyno tune, it's up to you ... a good tuner can tweek another few numbers by customizing the tune. The benefit to PCIII is that unplugging it returns the bike to factory settings should there be a problem.
According to Tuneboy guys, removing the secondaries and the GiPro are unnecessary with a Tuneboy, since they can be turned on and off with control over the software in the bikes computer. I do know that it's involved and some have difficulties with it, just depends how deep you want to meddle with the bikes software and how knowledgable you are about stuff like that. Done right, either way will get you what you want.

Your GiPro and secondaries question .... they are two different things, yes you should consider removing them with a GiPro. Secondaries control the throttle response and the GiPro controls the timing advance in the lower gears. The combination of the two is a fantastic power/throttle-response increase in low gears. It's like taking the training wheels off the engine.

Last edited:
If your dealer loaded the TORs/cat bypass tune (20226), this tune doesn't open up the secondaries 100% in any gear except above 4300 rpm. You can make the GiPro ATRE tell the ECU to use tune parameters for the upper gears, presumably 5th, but for the 20226 tune, this won't accomplish anything. If you're going to use the GiPro ATRE, instead of removing the secondary plates, have your dealer install the completely stock tune (20222). This tune has the secondaries open 100% in 4th and 5th at all rpm. Then, the GiPro set to 5th gear will give you full power in all gears. Also, the 20222 tune is compatible with the canned PCIII tune for the Jardines. Get this tune off the pciii site and download it into the pciii. This will be a better (richer) tune than the stock 20222 for the Jardine exhaust. Then put the triple filters on and get the pciii custom tuned.

Tuneboy is a much more versatile approach but it's much harder to get it custom dyno tuned. You would have to find a tuner who's done it before and it will take a lot longer than dyno tuning a pciii.

Even if you don't use tuneboy for tuning, everyone that has a Rocket and does mods should download the Tuneboy program and all the tunes available for the Rocket for FREE. You can run the program without connecting to your bike. This allows you to examine the fuel, ignition, and secondaries tables in all of the tunes, see what's different, etc. You'll be able to see where the timing is advanced or retarded from gear to gear as a function of throttle position and RPM. You can't really know what a GiPro ATRE is going to do unless you know what's in the tune that's loaded in your ECU.

Last edited:
Back