Bob R

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
Some people make plans to head to a warmer climate during the winter but I don't have that luxury (yet).

I just turned over 22K and 5 years on the R3T so I figured I would do a 5 year maintenance on it.

So far I plan on the following;

New Samco Hoses

New Fuel Filter

Install Suzuki voltage regulator

Adjust the valves

Maybe do some rewiring for accessories (possibly add a PDM 60)

Adjust throttle bodies

Full fluid change/flush

Replace the front tire with an Avon to see what all the hullabaloo is about. ;)

And if I can get my son's probate over and I am not bleeding money still from that I may be talking to Paul about some of those fancy pipes. ;)

Hopefully this will fill a couple of weekends of down time this winter but not much more, winter is my reloading season also. :)

bob

Bob, I installed the Avon on the front and love it. Time will tell on the life span of the tire.

Just curious but what's with the Suzuki voltage regulator. I'm not aware of problems on the stocker which I assume is a Lucas (now there's an endorsement). My son has the stock regulator on his 2007 with about 37k on with nary an issue.

Why a new fuel filter? Is this a required maintenance?

Definitely dump the rad fluid. I'm in the process of ordering Samco hoses to replace the stockers myself.

I need to ride over to see you in the spring when the snow melts and the new knees are up and running.

Bob, I installed the Avon on the front and love it. Time will tell on the life span of the tire.

Did you go with the stock size or drop down a size? I was thinking of going one size smaller ( a 130 vs 140) to see what it does to the steering.

Just curious but what's with the Suzuki voltage regulator. I'm not aware of problems on the stocker which I assume is a Lucas (now there's an endorsement). My son has the stock regulator on his 2007 with about 37k on with nary an issue.

In a nut shell it allows the stator to run cooler, possibly making it last longer. This thread has a lot of info in it.

Bad Voltage Regulator ...OR?

Why a new fuel filter? Is this a required maintenance?

Fuel filter falls in with the 20K service, plus I figure after 5 years of use it won't hurt to replace. The NAPA one is cheap enough. Once I replace it I will cut it open to show how it looks.

I need to ride over to see you in the spring when the snow melts and the new knees are up and running.

Absolutely, we may be able to take a day ride or two while you are here. The ride around Lake Coeur d'Alene is a gorgeous ride.

bob

Get a Mahle KL145. It is the Triumph filter without the stupid high price. It has the correct required filtration needed. The NAPA does not.

Bob, I went with the standard size. I've read quite a bit about dropping down the size a bit on the Classic/Standard/Roadster models but it didn't seem so compelling on our Ts.

Ah yes, dumb question on the fuel filter. Service item.

On the voltage regulator, I'll have to read that link again carefully. The shunt type regulator/rectifiers are a big issue on VStroms and many other Japanese models, but I didn't realize it was on Rockets. On the Stroms, the R/R fries the stator. Thankfully mine waited until I returned from the northern Yukon do go out. With the Stroms, one has to modify the wiring harness to change to a series voltage requlator so I'm surprised it's not required for the Rockets. Good idea though.

And I'll look forward to that ride around the lake. I used to ride there about every other year but not so much in the last few. I've never been around the lake so I'm definitely up for that.

personal opinion
i would not go with the 130 because it is going to lower the bike and maybe scrape in the corners and worst slide off the road:(

Back