Wideband failsafe systems

Torque addict

Supercharged
Ride
'05 R3 w/Aerocharger turbo
This is a double post from the Rocket 3 Technology forum for any of you over there.

My '05 standard has an Aerocharger variable vane turbo on it. The AFR is tuned with a PCV. I just wanted to add an AFR gauge but in my search for one I liked I ran across the AEM Wideband Failsafe Gauge which has really caught my interest. It seems like an excellent idea, especially for FA or nitrous applications and for paranoid people who hold to Murphy's law such as myself.

I'm curious what the thoughts are here on such a device, whether it might be considered overkill or if anyone is using one or something similar. I'm also looking for opinions on the best way to implement the failsafe trigger for my application. One option would be to retard the timing but I don’t know how I’d do that without spending another $350 on Dynojet's ignition module. As far as cutting boost the Aerocharger does not use a waste gate but I could hook up a solenoid to apply pressure to the vane controller to open them up and slow the turbine. I’m not sure if this would drop boost quick enough though. I’d also need an on-board canister of charged air regulated to about 15psi to do that (I don't want to use a boost controller).

I could also add another solenoid valve on the intake plenum that would open it to atmosphere at the same time. This leads me to another question... when you open a spooled turbo to atmosphere does that load it down making it spin slower or unload it casing it to spin faster potentially causing damage? I would think it would cause it to spin slower since pushing air to atmosphere would require more effort than pushing it into a vacuum (air gulping engine) but I don’t know for sure. If it would simply slow it down maybe I could forgo the air canister/vane controller hookup (not worry about slowing the turbo with less exhaust pressure) and just vent my intake plenum.

I’m also wondering if it would work OK to just put a relay contact in series with the kill switch so it simply cuts ignition and combustion altogether or would that be a bad idea under full throttle? I could also forget the whole thing and just go with my original idea of a gauge. I can’t believe how much time I’ve spent pre-designing this in my head trying to make up my mind what to do.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

You say this is for your Rocket - motorcycle or a space ship?
I have a fail safe on mine. Doubles as the handle for my right hand. ;)
Sorry. I'm no use at all. :(

I'd go with your last option seems a lot less complex and be very effective as long as you were not getting detonation witch could keep igniting the fuel, is there a way t could also stop the Fuel pump as it cant ignite fuel that is not there

CanberraR3, it's a motorcycle that accelerates as fast as a space ship!

Hanso, that's one reason I'm asking about the kill switch option. Seems it would kill both ignition and fuel injectors so it should instantly stop putting fuel in the cyclinders as well. If not it would be fairly easy to interrupt either the injector signals or fuel pump voltage. The bike is still apart right now but next time I ride it I'm planning on just hitting the kill swith under light acceleration then moderate acceleration to see what happens or what it feels like.

Back