Why is the touring class detuned?

Oldwarrior

08 Touring
Ride
08 Rocket iii touring
I have read and been told how the touring model has been detuned...
all I heard is there is less power in the first 3 gears...
I just ordered the cable to tune it and would like some insight and whats going on.

08 touring.

It is tuned for more low end torque to make the Touring model "better" in its role as a touring bike (more weight with the luggage and more likely to have a passenger etc). Really with the torque that both models put out you are really just splitting hairs. Lots of the touring models have been retuned to get the extra power....not really a big deal.

Triumph shifted the peak torque down in the rev range, and in so doing sacrificed way too much of the top end in my view. It's not that the bike is powerless out of the box, just needlessly sluggish. There may also be some element of "cruiser riders are afraid of power" type thinking there, after all the Harleys etc have half the power of the R3T as it comes from the manufacturer.

My bike works at least as well and probably better going down the highway at the appropriate speed with the Power-tripp tune that adds back 30 horses and 10 lb ft of torque. And if you want to get from 0-60 quickly, it does that a lot better now.

They overdid the H.P. restriction, IMO, but that's relatively simple and inexpensive to correct.

Kwitcherbellyachin', oldwarrior and get it done!!!

Back