Why are Millennials afraid to ride motorcycles

I think part of it (as mentioned in the video) is that a lot of kids don't have dirtbikes anymore. Growing up in Michigan when I was young, all state land was open to dirtbikes. Later, sometime in the eighties I believe, it was ALL closed to dirtbikes. No private land, no place to ride, sucks to be you. They had a couple "designated trails" in my area. Because of the crowding, they became like pro-motocross tracks in a short period of time. Just one mogul after the other. Head on collisions were very common. That's when I gave it up. I guess now they have opened up some more land. Not sure I'm in good enough shape to "do it in the dirt" anymore. Besides, for me, half the fun was beating the piss out of non-mufflered Honda twins, that could be bought for next to nothing. This here was one of my favorites. 1975 Honda CL360. Got it basically for free. Over the years added nicer parts that I acquired, usually for free. The exhaust is made out of artillery shell casings I found at the local junk yard. I beat that bike for years and couldn't kill it.

PICT0098.JPG

I think part of it (as mentioned in the video) is that a lot of kids don't have dirtbikes anymore. Growing up in Michigan when I was young, all state land was open to dirtbikes. Later, sometime in the eighties I believe, it was ALL closed to dirtbikes. No private land, no place to ride, sucks to be you. They had a couple "designated trails" in my area. Because of the crowding, they became like pro-motocross tracks in a short period of time. Just one mogul after the other. Head on collisions were very common. That's when I gave it up. I guess now they have opened up some more land. Not sure I'm in good enough shape to "do it in the dirt" anymore. Besides, for me, half the fun was beating the piss out of non-mufflered Honda twins, that could be bought for next to nothing. This here was one of my favorites. 1975 Honda CL360. Got it basically for free. Over the years added nicer parts that I acquired, usually for free. The exhaust is made out of artillery shell casings I found at the local junk yard. I beat that bike for years and couldn't kill it.

PICT0098.JPG

It could've been all those old 2 strokes spewing oily smoke everywhere that caused that lol.

It's a good video, self-transportation as a service has the potential of becoming a mainstream solution in the coming years. It became reality in the city I reside; Fayetteville, Arkansas. One can use a mobile app to seek and pick up the closest bicycle available, go ride it to your destination, put the kick-stand down, and leave it at a parking spot for the next rider.

bikeft.jpg

The service will soon carry a $17.00 monthly fee, but it is a no-brainer for many Fayetteville residents.

So if a UofA student, or even a resident with limited transportation needs, wants to do something fun on the weekends or holidays I could see the potential for many new businesses coming up to cater to this new opportunity:
  • Car Rentals offering weekend deals on convertibles
  • Airlines providing great deals to Buckhead (Atlanta), Deep Ellum (Dallas), or Miami Beach
  • Motorcycle Rentals
  • one of many experience-focused destinations, like Disney World or Concert Venues
  • winter-season transportation, or the rise of leasing on hybrid vehicles
  • and eventually, self-driving cars, based on the belief that today's kids won't be owning any type of vehicle in the near future.
I heard a rumor that a major manufacturer was developing a tiny-car that will be sold through an auto parts/accessory retail store, instead of a typical dealership.

I think Motorcycle Ownership will have a longer run than vehicle ownership. Time will tell what kind of motorcycles survive the transition.

I guess if you borrow $100,000 to take "music appreciation"..........
That’s is the same type of thinking I had. I wonder how much of the education debt has very little to do with the job obtained. It amounts to spending money for nothing. I had close to that debt in loans but as a health professional I had the ability to pay it off easily.

Back