T Evans

Supercharged
I have a buddy who owns a Big Dog with that 121" V twin in it. He lives back home about 150 miles away. He says his Big Dog will smoke my Rock that is putting out 144 horse and 151 trq. I haven't had a chance to ride with him yet but hope so soon.
The question is, will that Big Dog out run my Rocket? I haven't had much V twin experience or air cooled engines. I can smoke a fast V Rod but never had a chance to match up with one of these big bad V twins. Who is faster??

Big T

I doubt the Big Dog is the "Big Dog", one of the problems running it at a high rate of speed is will it hold up? Much ado about nothing...now a Boss Hoss...that would be a different story.

I doubt a stock Rocket has much to worry about either against the "Big Puppy":D.

Dennis

57 dtg Dubai
58 dtg Home for good!

Hit the drag strip and share your times. That should tide you ovr until you can match up in person.

Don't know what is "special" about that big dog motor, just had a look at their website and it didn't reveal a lot?

I'm tipping that you will smoke it from the get go...

Let us know after job done.

PS... if you don't smoke it please don'y reply :eek:

Found this write up:
Although some people might claim that the Bulldog’s H-D Evolution-style engine is outdated, that design having been abandoned by The Motor Company more than a decade ago, its power output is utterly flawless. The torque and horse- power curves are models of linear perfection, with nary a dip or a spike anywhere along the line, and both peak at almost identical levels: 96.3 hp at 5800 rpm and 96.1 ft.-lb. at 4200.
Those 111 inches of torque-heavy urge won’t quite yank
your shoulders out of their sockets, but they do scoot the Bulldog along in an easy, almost effortless fashion.

My guess would be, if you can't beat it, you don't know how to ride.lol As you pull away in second with the front coming up, he'll quit.
Shouldn't be a race and you need more faith in your R3.
The linear part in the preceeding post dictates the outcome. Your torque is full bore at about 2500 RPM. He needs high r's and you don't. If you don't spank him, you need to wear a bag over your head and buy a Puch Moped. Bwa ha ha
Seriously, no need to worry. Feel free to rag his ass all you want before you two match up.

And I thought I'd be nice and leave out what my 1700 Thunderbird "might" do to it...I'm feeling very generous today so I'll leave it at that:D.

Dennis

57 dtg Dubai
58 dtg Home for good!

I have a buddy who owns a Big Dog with that 121" V twin in it. He lives back home about 150 miles away. He says his Big Dog will smoke my Rock that is putting out 144 horse and 151 trq. I haven't had a chance to ride with him yet but hope so soon.
The question is, will that Big Dog out run my Rocket? I haven't had much V twin experience or air cooled engines. I can smoke a fast V Rod but never had a chance to match up with one of these big bad V twins. Who is faster??

Big T
That should be just your breakfast... 144hp, never even guys with 22years experience with twins say that 1hp/1ci is alot.. Go tease some busas etc... :D

(e: 2010 Big Dog Wolf Dyno
Post by: Sierramadre on May 14, 2010, 08:50:21 AM

Just did my 500 mile service and the dealership had the bike on the dyno. S&S X-Wedge 121 ci engine. 111 hp/105 ft lbs torque. Its a really fun bike to ride-especially around town. Not without issues though. Master cyclinder was leaking and had to be replaced,chrome fork cover bolt snapped off, clutch needed adjustment, rear swing arm paint was damaged when straps were attached during delivery, etc. Pretty much on par with the 3 harley CVO's I've owned as far as build quality. Dealer responsiveness and service was markedly better though.
)

It depends. If it's a stock motor, you'll not have any issues beating him. If it's not stock, then who knows. I just watched a Harley Superglide run low 10s thru the 1/4 last night. Your Rocket wouldn't stand a chance against that bike. It's a daily rider bike too, just not stock. ;)

You can take him. If you don't call me and I'll take a stab at it. Mines a turbo. No contest on the price scale though. Ask the guy how much he paid for his Big Dog and compare your cost. Even with my turbo I bet I'm about 1/3 the cost of the Big Dog.

Back