White stuff in coolant

RooK

Supercharged
Ride
'06 RIII
Hi All,

So my water pump was leaking (from the vent) on my 2006 Rocket 90,000km , I got a new pump.
I notice that the seal is installed backwards compared to the original.
Which one is right? (old pump on left, new one on right)
Would orientation of the seal affect anything? I'm afraid I will damage it prying it off. ..

THEN I look in the bucket, this appear to be oil in the coolant, not sure if it's oil or something else. The overflow had it too.
So I'm freaking out, I'm thinking head gasket... I'm getting ready to leave for a 5000km trip next week.
I dropped the oil, oil was clean, no coolant in it.

Thinking a lil more I have theories... I put in a brand new radiator last year, possible that it had some oily spray inside that interacted with coolant? Maybe some sticker that got shredded by the water pump? Thought?
If its oil,
IMG_20180828_085317160-2672x1503.jpg
IMG_20180828_101014523-1503x2672.jpg
Is it possible that the oil was introduced from the water pump? (I'm thinking it would be more like coolant in oil but who knows)

As I mentioned, I'm getting ready to leave on a 10 day trip. Would you ride it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Hey Rook
I know I have seen something similar in an automobile with a blown head gasket and oil and coolant were mixed. I would definitely check the oil for any signs of coolant.

Hi All,

So my water pump was leaking (from the vent) on my 2006 Rocket 90,000km , I got a new pump.
I notice that the seal is installed backwards compared to the original.
Which one is right? (old pump on left, new one on right)
Would orientation of the seal affect anything? I'm afraid I will damage it prying it off. ..

THEN I look in the bucket, this appear to be oil in the coolant, not sure if it's oil or something else. The overflow had it too.
So I'm freaking out, I'm thinking head gasket... I'm getting ready to leave for a 5000km trip next week.
I dropped the oil, oil was clean, no coolant in it.

Thinking a lil more I have theories... I put in a brand new radiator last year, possible that it had some oily spray inside that interacted with coolant? Maybe some sticker that got shredded by the water pump? Thought?
If its oil,
IMG_20180828_085317160-2672x1503.jpg
IMG_20180828_101014523-1503x2672.jpg
Is it possible that the oil was introduced from the water pump? (I'm thinking it would be more like coolant in oil but who knows)

As I mentioned, I'm getting ready to leave on a 10 day trip. Would you ride it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Picture looks like my recent urine sample, white stuff and all :cautious:

Did you flush the system with water before adding the new coolant? Some coolants don't get along (mix) with each other. If the new pump came with the seal looking different, just install and not worry as it might just be an upgraded seal. I would put it back together, add plain water, run the engine till warm, drain and check water, if clean, refill with appropriate mixture. If not completely clean, repeat flush procedure as necessary to remove all trash.

To answer all questions

- Bucket was used for water. I washed it before too
- Nobody had an alone time with the bucket
- Not even close to my urine sample
- Did not flush before, it was the same coolant type/brand that I have been using before

@leatal That's what I did. Seem to be running fine and clean.
@Rocket Scientist You just made my day! Knowing there are 2 seals in there means the oil seal is in the right direction. Basically the spring side should be on what you try to contain, that said it's ok as long as it doesn't fall in the engine :O

As far as what that stuff is, I'll probably never know... I put some in a jar and let it settle over night. It is definitely NOT oil. It clumps a little when I scoop it out, I think it could be paper fibers, and it's definitely white.

Attachments

• IMG_20180829_083221925-1503x2672.jpg
    IMG_20180829_083221925-1503x2672.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180829_083305134_HDR-1503x2672.jpg
    IMG_20180829_083305134_HDR-1503x2672.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180829_083318028_HDR-1503x2672.jpg
    IMG_20180829_083318028_HDR-1503x2672.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
To answer all questions

- Bucket was used for water. I washed it before too
- Nobody had an alone time with the bucket
- Not even close to my urine sample
- Did not flush before, it was the same coolant type/brand that I have been using before

@leatal That's what I did. Seem to be running fine and clean.
@Rocket Scientist You just made my day! Knowing there are 2 seals in there means the oil seal is in the right direction. Basically the spring side should be on what you try to contain, that said it's ok as long as it doesn't fall in the engine :O

As far as what that stuff is, I'll probably never know... I put some in a jar and let it settle over night. It is definitely NOT oil. It clumps a little when I scoop it out, I think it could be paper fibers, and it's definitely white.
Hmmm, you haven't let @RKTNMYPKT anywhere near your bike have you? You know how over excited he gets as soon as anything starts to get stripped down!! :eek::eek:

Back