White Plastic Ring, R# Touring Front Fork:

Will Lucey

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket III Touring
Pulled my '08 Rocket III Touring out of the garage.
Noticed a white plastic ring around the lower leg, above the fender.
Ring is about a 1/4" top to bottom, thin and fragile, bigger dia than the fork tube, smaller than the upper fork tube cover.
The ring obviously fell down from within the upper tube cover.
Nothing seems to be functionally affected.
No leaks, nothing.
Can anyone tell me what this ring is, and it's importance????

Pulled my '08 Rocket III Touring out of the garage.
Noticed a white plastic ring around the lower leg, above the fender.
Ring is about a 1/4" top to bottom, thin and fragile, bigger dia than the fork tube, smaller than the upper fork tube cover.
The ring obviously fell down from within the upper tube cover.
Nothing seems to be functionally affected.
No leaks, nothing.
Can anyone tell me what this ring is, and it's importance????

Maybe this will help.

upload_2015-8-10_8-26-9.png

bob

more than likely you are talking about the dust seal. if it was mine i would wipe it all clean and put a small amount of silicone on the outer edge of the dust shield and then push it in to position ,wipe excess silicone and let it set a while.

Don't glue it in. The dust seal will press in by hand quite easily. Do you have any kids that would have picked it out? They take a little work to get loose and up. I would be more inclined to think that it is some spacer from the shroud around the inner tube; up by the wind screen. Shine a light up the other side shroud and see whats there, and compare to the side you found the ring on.

Don't glue it in. The dust seal will press in by hand quite easily. Do you have any kids that would have picked it out? They take a little work to get loose and up. I would be more inclined to think that it is some spacer from the shroud around the inner tube; up by the wind screen. Shine a light up the other side shroud and see whats there, and compare to the side you found the ring on.

i agree don't glue it in. put it back and if it comes out again then you can use a small amount of silicone on each side.

To Bob R:
I think I have identified the mystery part.
On the illustrations you posted, page 14.33, below line 6, showing the dust seal, the item that fell out appears to be the ring around the lower leg, just beneath the dust seal. It is a white plastic ring, and suspect it is there to keep the fork cover from rubbing on the lower leg. I think service can wait till riding season is over in the northeast. Thanks for posting the info,
Will

Hello @Will Lucey and welcome from Virginia. Please head over to the introduce yourself thread and let us know more about your and this R3T. I'm glad you have your mistry figured out.

Back