Which wire to tap for switched power?

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Hey Guys. I installed a USB outlet on my bike the other day, and to my dissapointment there is a small LED inside the unit I can't get to to remove or disable it. So now I have a USB plug that is constantly draining battery power just to show that its plugged in.

I was thinking about installing a switch, which doesn't sound very hard to do, but I was hoping you could let me know the easiest way to tap into a wire or terminal that has switched power only when the ignition is turned on. Where can I attach a small positive wire? I want to try and avoid splicing into the existing wiring if possible... but still would be curious to know what options I have.

Hey Guys. I installed a USB outlet on my bike the other day, and to my dissapointment there is a small LED inside the unit I can't get to to remove or disable it. So now I have a USB plug that is constantly draining battery power just to show that its plugged in.

I was thinking about installing a switch, which doesn't sound very hard to do, but I was hoping you could let me know the easiest way to tap into a wire or terminal that has switched power only when the ignition is turned on. Where can I attach a small positive wire? I want to try and avoid splicing into the existing wiring if possible... but still would be curious to know what options I have.

ric

why don't you install the PC-8 from EB, the board include switched and un switched positions very practical kit, I did and happy to report all my extra gizmos are working and not draining battery when not in use..I posted pics of the installation should you want to see it

ric

why don't you install the PC-8 from EB, the board include switched and un switched positions very practical kit, I did and happy to report all my extra gizmos are working and not draining battery when not in use..I posted pics of the installation should you want to see it

Can you provide a link?

Hey Ricochet, here is a Canadian company, nice fellas.
http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Fuzeblock_FZ1_p/fuzeblock.htm
The fuse block has a built in relay and makes install easy. There are a lot of product on the market or you can build your own to save space. If you want the schematics I can email them to you. You can pick up the parts for probably $30 if you build your own.
Cheers

Can you provide a link?

look at the links from the other captains and you can decide which is best for you they both can fit either behind the left or the right side covers. I placed mine on the left as I also installed the switch for the headlight nearby and a dual plug for battery tendering . still waiting for the brackets by the way

look at the links from the other captains and you can decide which is best for you they both can fit either behind the left or the right side covers. I placed mine on the left as I also installed the switch for the headlight nearby and a dual plug for battery tendering . still waiting for the brackets by the way

That pc8 looks cool. I'll look into it. How do you power accessories with this? It looks like it takes power so do you just attach the negative and positive cable to this unit directly where the screws go? I'll check Youtube for a install vid.

And btw the brackets are now passing customs in Canada so you should see the same with your tracking number!

That pc8 looks cool. I'll look into it. How do you power accessories with this? It looks like it takes power so do you just attach the negative and positive cable to this unit directly where the screws go? I'll check Youtube for a install vid.

And btw the brackets are now passing customs in Canada so you should see the same with your tracking number!
re: PC8 I selected some items to be unswitched and some to be switched the board shows which is which so you decide what is powered all the time or not the PC8 comes with the cables that attach to the battery check the one that fit your eventual setup the two big screws are for the bat power the rest is very simple and there is a explanation on how to do if you order that one . if you search PC8 on this forum you will see pics of installation
so our brackets are across the border amazing it has been only three weeks wow!! and canada post is going to stop house delivery sometime next year hope to get them before

I just installed a PC8. The switched power I used is under the left side cover. There is a plug that was not in use I was told it was for Calif. emissions. If all you need is one wire just tap into that its not used for anything on my bike.You don't need a fuse box to get switched power.

Hey Ricochet, here is a Canadian company, nice fellas.
http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Fuzeblock_FZ1_p/fuzeblock.htm
The fuse block has a built in relay and makes install easy. There are a lot of product on the market or you can build your own to save space. If you want the schematics I can email them to you. You can pick up the parts for probably $30 if you build your own.
Cheers

This is some good $tuff. I have had the same dead battery issue from a left side accessory European electrical connector as Ricochet.
I would appreciate your offered diagram.
Gratitude,
1olbull

Back