Which Springs on Progressive 444 12.5" Shocks

Jeffrey Cochran

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Scrambler, Aprilia Tuono , Husaberg , R3Classic
Looking to upgrade my rear shocks on a 08 Classic and saw that there is Standard and Heavy Duty springs . Not sure which to go with , I like to do some long touring rides, 99 % solo but weight in at close to 300 lbs. What do you all recommend ???

Looking to upgrade my rear shocks on a 08 Classic and saw that there is Standard and Heavy Duty springs . Not sure which to go with , I like to do some long touring rides, 99 % solo but weight in at close to 300 lbs. What do you allrecommend ???
I'd say HD especially with a passenger. You could call Progressive tech support and ask.

Looking to upgrade my rear shocks on a 08 Classic and saw that there is Standard and Heavy Duty springs . Not sure which to go with , I like to do some long touring rides, 99 % solo but weight in at close to 300 lbs. What do you all recommend ???

Most def get HD!
Mine worked about perfect outta the box and I be 275#

I believe that Progressive only recommends the HD for all Rockets, as it is already a heavy bike. I have the HD and they work great for two-up loads when you wind up preload. But even on lighter bikes, a 300 lb rider wants the HD - if I recall correctly they say anytihng over 275 on any bike warrants the HD model.

Hello from OZ,
I just put Progessive 444's with HD springs on my standard Rocket, I weigh 204lb and have left them with no preload for solo, work great and the ride is much improved.
Corners are much more fun and can take them faster with less concern than with the old OEM units. Another plus is now my rough dirt driveway is no longer a chore to get in and out of. What I really like is that with a small adjustment I can set it up for two up at 365lb not counting luggage. So for me the 444 with HD springs covers the spectrum of how I like to ride, which includes a bit of touring, day rides solo and two up and some slightly higher tempo cornering antics:)
Hope that helps
Chris

Yeah, my Touring handles a lot better with the Progressives, and they almost entirely soak up road irregularities, the kind of stuff that can rattle the fillings in your teeth otherwise just goes away. Progressives and new Avon Cobras made such an incredible difference in bike handling, it didn't suck before but it was noticeably worse with stock KYB's and Metzelers.

About ten years ago I ordered my prog shocks with heavy springs now me being of average weight(13 stone) 180# well average in any country but America:p anyhoo I found the heavy springs were far to stiff for me the least little pot hole and I was about off the bike.

I found the heavy springs were far to stiff for me the least little pot hole and I was about off the bike.

Mine were like that at first, but I had literally no preload set. Which caused them to bottom out and bounce off the rubber stopper in the big bumps. That sucked. Appropriate preload on and boom, smooth sailing. But I'm no lightweight either.

Back