Where's a good spot to relocate the air temp sensor?

Willtill

Nitrous
So. since I've gotten the Bear Claw cut, and the K&N's installed with the OEM bottle relocated, I now am scratching my head and wondering where the best spot would be for the air temp sensor (that was previously installed in the OEM air duct work).

I've already cut the wires and am preparing to extend the lead for it, so I can move it away from the valve cover area. It get's hot under that fuel tank and I want the best sampling of the ambient air temperature, and plus protection for it.

Already installed the littlel K&N filter on it, to protect the sensor head.

I was thinking about making the electrical lead long enough to place the sensor behind the left side cover on the bike. Good protection for it, and I'm hoping that it doesn't get too hot under there.

I notice some people mounted it very near the K&N's, and someone even mounted it INSIDE one of the K&N's.

Maybe I can make a clip off some sorts for it, and clip it on underneath the center tab of the Bear Claw mounting bracket.

Any other ideas on the best and easiest place to relocate it?

It needs to be in the airflow entering the throttle bodies, doesn't matter which one. I cut a hole in the first filter on the backside where you can't see it. I then used a hot glue gun around the hole on both sides to start making a "grommet" a little bigger than the sensor. after coating the sensor with a little grease so it wouldn't stick to the glue, I ran a thick bead of hot glue around the inside of the hole and inserted the sensor. I used my fingers dipped in cool water to mold the glue and waited for it to cool. Works just like the rubber grommet on the original intake, holds it solid and is removable for cleaning the filter.

I initially cut a hole in the top of one of the filters and just used the grommet from the intake tract. I later moved it to its own little filter and zip tied it between the first and second filters. Using a Scangauge I found not discernible difference in the Intake Air Temperature between the two positions.

I just put the little filter on it and tucked it between the wishbones on the frame
up toward the front of the tank.
It's out of the weather, it's getting fresh air, and I'm through with it.

You guys don't think it should be in the airflow? I know the little filter protects it well, but the little guy can't breath in there.

What I've found is that on my R3T the windshield lowers have a big effect on intake air temps with triple K&Ns. With them mounted I see temps 20-30 degrees higher than with them removed. Without the lowers and with the sensor in its own (un-oiled) filter the temperatures run about 10 degrees above ambient, very similar to the temperatures I saw with the filter mounted inside the first K&N.

With the lowers mounted the heat from the engine and the heat coming off the radiator doesn't dissipate and the filters sit in stagnant air. Its not too much of a problem in the winter but in the summer intake temps are running over 130 degrees. So, I remove my lowers when the temperatures warm up.

If you just want to get the lowest reading on your sensor I guess you could run it up near the horn mount and turn it sideways. For an accurate reading, inside the filter is best. But as I said, I've seen virtually the same readings with it mounted next to the K&N.

I've got mine sticking out a little catching some air. Can't say if it's a good or bad place to put it. It seems to run and dyno fine and get ok fuel mileage.

Ok. I thank you all for your insight and advice. Just got in from positioning it. Went ahead and located it on the outer top frame, behind the first K&N. Here's a couple of pic's:

Now all I need is......

P.R.E.D.A.T.O.R.S .....and a tune for them with the K&N's

:cool:

Mounted mine in the #2 filter. The thick rubber in the end of the K&N's is just right to dremel out a lole to fit. You them have to splice the wires a bit to reach. Eas job.
It's no getting a real temp being in the air flow.

Attachments

• 104_7433.jpg
    104_7433.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 266
Mounted mine in the #2 filter. The thick rubber in the end of the K&N's is just right to dremel out a lole to fit. You them have to splice the wires a bit to reach. Eas job.
It's no getting a real temp being in the air flow.

Those filters remind me of the smoke grenade launchers we used to have on our old M60A3 tanks.... :p

Back