Where is the dang Starter relay on the R3T?!?

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I am still trouble shooting my starting issue. I have two batteries that are charged according to my charger. I have checked the fuses and all are good. When I went to check the starter relay, it aint where the manual sows it for the other R3s. They have theirs on the right side panel area. But R3T only has the flasher relays there. Where did Triumph but it on the Touring? I cannot find any reference to it in the manual.

I know the issue may be a dead ignition. When I turn the key, nothing happens. The issue has been developing for several days when the starter engages, it would only turn over once, click and power is lost. I would wait a few minutes and try again and it would start. Then Friday it just clicked and everything went dead. After work, I put it on charge. In the morning it started first try as normal. a little while later, no start, just click and dead panel.

I figured I would swap the starter relay hoping that would be an easy fix. It's very frustrating. I haven't been able to ride for five days now!

I believe its on the right side behind the side panel
Remember there is NO Turn Signal Relay on the Touring so the only relay on that side will be the starter/headlight-cut relay

@Boog -
after work, I put it on charge. In the morning it started first try as normal. a little while later, no start, just click and dead panel.

It sounds like you either have a fundamental battery problem - or (hopefully not!) a generating system problem.
If you get it started (use jumper cables as necessary) then measure the voltage with the engine running

It might also be as you suspect a relay issue, or even the solenoid contacts

I just went out and looked at the bike to refresh my memory. The main item behind the right side cover is the ECU.

Aft of that, tucked behind the diagonal frame member, are two relays.

Incidentally the manual is wrong since it says that the cartoon image for the Touring (page 18.26) indicates the flasher unit - as mentioned previously, there is NO discrete flasher unit on a Touring, it is embedded in the Instruments

... Aft of that, tucked behind the diagonal frame member, are two relays.

I'm a bit confused as to what you are seeing as the Second Relay on that side Paul ...........

On the Touring we have
Fuel Pump
Cooling Fan
ECU Relay
(first three are on the left side)
Starter/Headlight Relay

Then there is the relay for the Aux lights which is behind the steering head

That should be it - so not sure what you are looking at there - do you have some wire colours please on the item that is NOT the starter/Headlight Relay (which has Blue/Yellow, White/Red, Yellow/Brown, Blue & Black wires)

Thanks guys, if I am understanding correctly @DEcosse, the single relay on the right is the one I need to check.

Pretty sure that would not prevent the gauge light from working...

OK - that comment made me back up to your initial post ....

...When I turn the key, nothing happens. ..!

I am still trouble shooting my starting issue.

I had 'keyed' (no pun intended) on the starter not running since you called it a "starting issue"
Now with these comments - is there really NOTHING happens when you turn on the key?
i.e. is simply starter not operating or do you not get power at all?

When you turn key on
Does Headlight come on?
Does Instrument panel light up?
Does brake light or horn work?

This can help guide where the problem lies.
One thing is to look at the key-switch connector - there have been a couple of incidences of the main input power terminal (from the while/blue wire) burning up.

Back