Wheel cleaning

Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
15539611462865888251446693706873.jpg

Who has a secret to clean up the wheels on the bike to clean up the nastiness on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the 0000 steel wool. I had bad rust and oxidation. It left a very smooth surface with no gloss. Elbow grease with any metal polish gave me a reasonable result. Probably a powered rotary sponge or brush with rouge would help too.

Rim bling is for the garage queens. Keeping roadsters rims glossy is tough.

I tried the 0000 steel wool. I had bad rust and oxidation. It left a very smooth surface with no gloss. Elbow grease with any metal polish gave me a reasonable result. Probably a powered rotary sponge or brush with rouge would help too.

Rim bling is for the garage queens. Keeping roadsters rims glossy is tough.
Yeah, i guess having them dulled a little is not as bad as all the pitting and oxidation.

Use steel wool like mum uses in the kitchen...the one with soap impregnated in it...that will get the s*it off, wont scratch the alloy either, just dont get near the paint.... then go over the whole lot with autosol...give them a good going over tho. I have a becker stand which lifts the wheel off the ground ..its easy to spin the wheel then.

I use Simple Green straight out of the bottle without diluting it with some 0000 steal wool for real stubborn stuff. I used S-100 on my Roadking spoke wheels and in time it took the chrome off. Simple Green is biodegradable and won't hurt the finish.

I use Simple Green straight out of the bottle without diluting it with some 0000 steal wool for real stubborn stuff. I used S-100 on my Roadking spoke wheels and in time it took the chrome off. Simple Green is biodegradable and won't hurt the finish.

Yeah, S100 is caustic stuff and it's kind'a of expensive. It works but you have to take it off fast and rinse it very well.

image.jpg

Who has a secret to clean up the wheels on the bike to clean up the nastiness on them?

No secrets but I just did mine, remove wheel, strip with stripper, 200 grit easy- then some #3 steel wool, then 400 grit and some 0 steel wool then 800 then 1000 then some 000 wool then some aluminum polish then some buffing then you’re done with that side, repeat 3 more times. And that’s about all I could get

Last edited by a moderator:
No secrets but I just did mine, remove wheel, strip with stripper, 200 grit easy- then some #3 steel wool, then 400 grit and some 0 steel wool then 800 then 1000 then some 000 wool then some aluminum polish then some buffing then you’re done with that side, repeat 3 more times. And that’s about all I could get
Thank you, i will see what i can do

Back