Stillserving

LET'S GO BRANDON
Ride
86' Magna, 2017 R3R
So, I recently put a new back tire on and swapped out my rear shocks to 444s, and also swapped out my final drive fluid. In other words I had it all apart. It just started making this noise the other day. I can hear it over the engine noise if I am at very slow speeds or coasting to a stop. Also (as in the videos) when pushing at slow speeds. The noise is almost identical moving forward or reverse (one video each direction). It sounds to me like bearing noise/dry bearings to me. Any other opinions?
Before anyone asks:
Yes, I grease the driveshaft splines.
Yes, I filled the final drive w/ fluid.
I pulled the brake pads out for the videos, so they are not rubbing.
The calipers and pistons on the rear brakes all operate smoothly.

Weird thing is, it's hard to hear/doesn't happen regularly when the rear tire is off the ground, so only with weight on the rear end (substantial amount w/ me sitting on it :roll: ).

So, I recently put a new back tire on and swapped out my rear shocks to 444s, and also swapped out my final drive fluid. In other words I had it all apart. It just started making this noise the other day. I can hear it over the engine noise if I am at very slow speeds or coasting to a stop. Also (as in the videos) when pushing at slow speeds. The noise is almost identical moving forward or reverse (one video each direction). It sounds to me like bearing noise/dry bearings to me. Any other opinions?
Before anyone asks:
Yes, I grease the driveshaft splines.
Yes, I filled the final drive w/ fluid.
I pulled the brake pads out for the videos, so they are not rubbing.
The calipers and pistons on the rear brakes all operate smoothly.

Weird thing is, it's hard to hear/doesn't happen regularly when the rear tire is off the ground, so only with weight on the rear end (substantial amount w/ me sitting on it :roll: ).

Believe I'd pull bevel gear and check ring and pinion. Sounds like a chipped tooth. Hope I'm wrong.

Never heard a wheel bearing sound that bad. So my guess is take it apart and see first hand because something ain't right. I would check all three wheel bearings in the process. If it is one of the bearings all three should be replaced. I have done this job several times and kind of know my way around this very well. So if it is the bearings and you need some help just PM me.

Believe I'd pull bevel gear and check ring and pinion. Sounds like a chipped tooth. Hope I'm wrong.

If it was a chipped tooth , I would expect it to happen whenever it was rotated, even with the weight off the rear wheel/jacked up. It doesn't though.

That's a weird one! Almost sounds like the driveshaft flopping around inside the swing arm. :oops: :eek::oops:

Very strange. I had mine apart in April for a new rear tire. Didn’t experience anything like that. As others have said, pull it apart and go through everything. It sucks, but that’s the only option.

Back