Wheel and Tyre Alignment

Big Marty

Turbocharged
Ride
2010 Rocket 3 Roadster
G'day Captains

Just a quick question, does anyone have the problem of your front tyre wearing on one side at an alarming rate. Now I know a lot of so called highway and roads in Queensland are nothing more than goat tracks with a lick of black **** on them, but seriously my front tyre is wearing like a bastard on the right side.

Just wondering is there some sort of an alignment adjustment or procedure I can do to slow the front tyre wear down or is it just the nature of the beast.

Thanks Marty:(

You didn't mention the handling or the tyre type is it a softy Metz?

I put a pair of Avons on and I have good results so far, always a little nervous in the wet though, running 41 rear 38 front.. mostly 2 up..

> obvious i know..Did You check the head stock bearing adj?

With a total of 42000 miles under the seats of my R3 and R3R, I've had it occur 2 or 3 times, both on Metzs and Avons. It isn't noticeable till around 6000 miles, and I change it out when the cupping looks risky.

I asked Metzler about it and they gave me the general response. Breaking frequently, cornering agressiveness, and tire pressure.

I have noticed that if I use my engine compression to break and use my front break less agressively, it doesn't seem to occur as often. Also, make sure your tire pressure and gauge are right on the mark. I've had problems with faulty pressure guages.

Soooo that's about all I can offer from my side of the pond.

Later, Wsrvr

Yes most definitely a camber issue while it still does it it is not as bad with the Shinko 757 150/80/17. The Metzler needs to be kept at 42 psi and it will last maybe an extra 1,000 klm but the biggest thing I found when I switch from Metz to Shinko was a much improved change of direction and handling in general- in short the Metz are crap and I have seen them do the same on a Kawasaki GTR 1000, some guys like the Avon but will tell you to be carefully in wet the Shinko is still cupping slightly but I am getting an extra 2,000klm out of them and they stick like sh1t to a blanket even in the wet, I am aggressive in the corners and do use my front brake fairly heavily but I think with the weight of the bike you need to and you can't brake to strongly with back as they will tend to lock easily ( not so much with DS tyre though) some of the guys swear by the Dunlop 401 I think it is, it would be interesting to see what one of them go like on Auss roads:rolleyes:

Mine is doing the same thing to the right hand side of front and back tyres.Must be the road camber as I tend to corner harder in left handers.

My theory is that it's a combination of 2 things. Road camber and sitting slightly off centre. The asymetry of the bear claw can cause you to sit slightly more to the left of centre of the seat, which would mean the bike has to be over slightly to the right to offset it. Everyone I suggest this to says I'm wrong because they won't admit to sitting off centre. I first noticed it because I didn't understand why the bike dipped to the left when I took my hands off the handle bars. Same reason. Making sure I sit in the exact middle of the seat means my bike runs straight when I let go of the bars and my front tyres wear pretty evently - just a tiny bit more on the right which is probably due to the camber. Try it. If I'm wrong you've lost nothing and can keep looking for a more sinister problem. The link below (I hope) is a pick of my last Avon with 8000km (?) on it showing very even wear.

http://www.r3owners.net/attachments/dark-side/2217d1305690123-darkside-review-ride-18052011359.jpg

G'day Captains;

I knew this was the right place to make the inquiry, and thanks to one and all glad to see it's just not me with the same problem.

Not that I want to see you have the same problem ok.;)

Richard I will try the seating position especially as I have a schwoosh gel cushion to save the numbing out on a long ride, and yes they do work and a bloody lot cheaper than most other seat cushions.

once again thanks to all your advice as always invaluable. Marty:D

Back