what's the screen made of?

Anyone know whether it's perspex or polycarbonate?
And has anyone used anything like a Dremel to cut it?
Thanks
Mike
They're made by National Cycle - National state Lexan® polycarbonate for their own screens. Not tried cutting Triumph stuff - But polycarbonate can be machined/sawed with fine teeth/grit and a moderate speed. Too low it snags - to high it gets hot and melts. I've not tried - but wet cutting would probably be better.

Easy to cut with a Dremel. Tape both sides, cut fast enough to make a smooth cut, finish fine sanding.

Another option might be to use a basic sabre saw with a fine metal-cutting blade. You can add water to reduce the possibility of overheating and resist snagging. Sometimes dremels are hard to control and may lead to much more hand work after the cut. The sabre saw will follow a line a little better and not jump around and gouge the part you want to remain virginal. The hand work can be done with a fine flat file for fine control and wet sanding in progressive grits, culminating in polish on a buffing wheel. If you have a headlight restoration kit lying around, that can be used, as well. The best (and cheapest) one is by 3M.

All good advice. Another tip is to get a large piece of cardboard and trace the curve of the top of the screen. Then cut that out and use it to draw the line on your taped screen. I'd suggest cutting a bit higher than you think you want it. Easier to take a bit more off than to add a bit back.

Wouldn't think you could get as "clean" of a cut with that.
One slip following the line and you're commited to a new line.
I'd go invest in a dremil for the speed, and ease of cutting.
It's also easy to follow your predrawn line
as you can rest your hands and arms on your work surface while making your cut.
Just my opinion, use what YOU'RE comfortable with.

rather than going electric, do you think one of these would do http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-STA...GRIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339100957&sr=8-1
Mike
Mike - speak to these lads. http://www.permagrit.com/ - they're experts in cutting & forming composites and synthetics.

As skip says - do what you're comfy using. I've never used a dremmel in anger - found the feel very awkward when trying one in a shop. I did my polycarbonate leg shields with a hand saw, metalwork files and emery cloth. Drilled using a pillar drill.

Back