Whats all the hoohaa about darksiding?

Roscoe

Biker Chaplain
Ride
2008 R3
Ok in August I needed a new rear and front tyre, due to financial issues I decided to find out what all the hoohaa is about this so called "darkside" riding. I have read heaps about it over the years as I also have a v star 1100 and some people darkside them. So done my homework and decided I liked the look of the Federal 595 for my Rocket test.

I was planning on going "walkabout" in Septemeber school holidays but like I said I had financial issues and stayed home. so the outcome is, it took about 1000klms to actually scrub the tyre in so to speak, I noticed the transition as it became very smooth and I didn't have to manhandle the bike anymore.

The first week was raining so wet weather darksiding gets a score of 11 out of 10. Actually I felt the new front Avon was going to let me down but the federal kept it upright.

After scrubbing in period I thought lets go hell for leather and try a few mountain rides...... wow 9 out of 10 for scraping floorboards and and control-ability. Personally I don't think the front Avon is a very good match contrast to popular belief.

Now 2000klms later I only notice anything when travelling under 60klms/hr anything on or over 60 feels like I have a bike tyre on there! I will say I am impressed! I only have or feel issues with the tyre when I travel on roads that have ruts from heavy vehicles or like I said at slow speeds especially when I am crossing a speed hum a ledged driveway or a sloped gutter, it feels quite unstable on these issues but rarely have to worry about it anyway so a score of 5 out of ten for slow speed maneuvers.

Would I go dark again? I think yes I probablt would as I am putting a towbar on the bike and I doubt a tyre shop would be impressed having to work with a towbar in the way. Personally I don't think it feels any different than the old Dunlop K81's we used to use in the 80's as a cheap budget replacement, I think it was actually all but a square tyre and was popular with sidecar owners!

Overall score for riding a Rocket darkside, I have tried various different pressures from 25 to 40 Psi and have settled on the recomended 35 to 38Psi. I would say 9 out of 10. I like it for this bike anyway. I doubt I would darkside any other bike.

I think Freddy Flinstone still has square tires. He likes them. On the straight note, I would run darkside again for a long road trip, for the wear. They don't handle the same as a motorcycle tire. Period

I think Freddy Flinstone still has square tires. He likes them. On the straight note, I would run darkside again for a long road trip, for the wear. They don't handle the same as a motorcycle tire. Period

No they don't but I got 2 other bikes for playing on :) The club I ride with are mostly Harley's and Jap cruisers so I have no need to thrash the bike through the mountains. Actually I played tail end charlie on last ride and actually enjoyed it back there might do it more often!

l-6592.jpg

If someone who does not ride a motorcycle asks you why you do, nothing you say will convince them. If they DO ride, you don't HAVE to explain.

Same for darksides......................:banghead:

It was my experience that running a dark side was fun. However the bike was designed to apply all that torque through a lot smaller tire contact patch with the asphalt . Running dark gives a whole meaning to contact patch. The extra lateral force on the driveshaft spines is detrimental to their life expectancy due to using all that HP to turn the additional resistance of the wide car tire tread. I had to replace my driveshaft after 2 years dark siding it. That is my experience and may not meet what others will tell you.

2 weeks after i went DS i rode to RDU Vic from SEQ , over 2 weeks i did over 5000klm riding, the bike didnt all of a sudden burst into flames or fly off the road by itself.
Ive put 50000 Klm on DS since , im on the second tire , 1st did 40k and made a good deal of smoke at the Vets burnout comp as a farewell.

Back