What to do ..What to do - looking at 'companion' complement bike

Allan S

Simple African lad with a Rocket
Ride
2016 Roadster-skunk
Been thinking about adding another bike to my garage to sleep with my beloved Rocket. Yesterdays post of our old bikes got me all nostalgic and good times I had with my CBX when I was young and foolish (as opposed to now old and stupid) came flooding back. I had been looking for a frame off restoration of a 1978 CBX 1000 for a while and couldn't find one. In my search I fell in love with, and decided on buying a 2004 Honda Rune. Now after thinking about my old CBX I am not so sure.. Both Honda's, both big boy bikes, both accelerate like homesick angels, but they couldn't be more different.
The Rune is the only bike I've ever found that is as imposing as my Roadster. Both are beautiful in different ways. Both will be a pain in the ass to get parts for....The Rune in picture is a 2004 with 74 miles on it - yes , still new... But a CBX at full cry is like the gates of heaven have opened.

CBX.jpg

Rune.jpg

both are awesome bikes for different reasons.
i'm guessing the rune would be closely related to the rocket in terms of size, power, handling, etc.
the cbx is a totally different animal that sounds like (from your writing) it would put the biggest smile on your face.
personally, i'd add a different animal to the herd.
then i have options depending on how i'm feeling that day.

The CBXs were often used up as modified drag bike engines.

My mate had one he rode around Australia and then put a massive home made leading link and knobbies all round to make an offroad sidecar he used to take bush and hunt and live off the land around Darwin's bush hinterland for weeks at a time. He was the son of a Queensland roo shooter and gunsmith, a real Croc Dundee character.

Still got the prototype leading link forks handing on my shed wall near Darwin.

I think @Tonester shares your interest in those CBXs.

The CBXs were often used up as modified drag bike engines.

My mate had one he rode around Australia and then put a massive home made leading link and knobbies all round to make an offroad sidecar he used to take bush and hunt and live off the land around Darwin's bush hinterland for weeks at a time. He was the son of a Queensland roo shooter and gunsmith, a real Croc Dundee character.

Still got the prototype leading link forks handing on my shed wall near Darwin.

I think @Tonester shares your interest in those CBXs.
Never thought of those 6 cyl motors as hardy but I guess they are seeing as though so many survive, given the relative complexity of them.

both are awesome bikes for different reasons.
i'm guessing the rune would be closely related to the rocket in terms of size, power, handling, etc.
the cbx is a totally different animal that sounds like (from your writing) it would put the biggest smile on your face.
personally, i'd add a different animal to the herd.
then i have options depending on how i'm feeling that day.

here is a you tube with the sound... who could resist that!

Last edited:
Been thinking about adding another bike to my garage to sleep with my beloved Rocket. Yesterdays post of our old bikes got me all nostalgic and good times I had with my CBX when I was young and foolish (as opposed to now old and stupid) came flooding back. I had been looking for a frame off restoration of a 1978 CBX 1000 for a while and couldn't find one. In my search I fell in love with, and decided on buying a 2004 Honda Rune. Now after thinking about my old CBX I am not so sure.. Both Honda's, both big boy bikes, both accelerate like homesick angels, but they couldn't be more different.
The Rune is the only bike I've ever found that is as imposing as my Roadster. Both are beautiful in different ways. Both will be a pain in the ass to get parts for....The Rune in picture is a 2004 with 74 miles on it - yes , still new... But a CBX at full cry is like the gates of heaven have opened.

CBX.jpg

Rune.jpg
Honda Valkyrie 97.jpg

Back