What to do in a crash situation

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
This question is aimed at Scot in Exile but everyone is welcome to chime in. A fellow I work with was just in a crash with a cager. The lady started to pull out and stopped, my bud started to slow. He figured she finally saw him and started to resume his speed. When he was a little closer she shot out in front of him. He then proceeded to "lay it down". He suffered a broken collar bone and a torn ACL in his right knee. Could have been a lot worse I suppose. I know the "old Harley riders" always talked of layin' um down. What is the recommendation now days ? I remember reading that staying on the bike and on the brakes was your best bet. The idea being to scrub off as much speed as possible before the impact. Any thoughts ? I'm talking situations where avoidance isn't possible.

Hold on and squeeze, you'll go faster by laying it down. I found that out many years ago. Steel slides real easy on the road. Also the bike crushing will save you by absorbing energy.

Agree with all the above. The whole idea of 'laying her down' comes from an era when brakes were more like wishful thinking.

There is a young Harley technician (Early 30's) that now has his own shop in town. He rode a highly modified Harley Dyna series bike. He ALWAYS rode way too fast for the road conditions. One day about six years ago, while riding back to work after lunch in town, he had an old lady turn left in front of him. He told me he was on it and going at least 70MPH in the 45 zone when he hit her broad side.

He said he saw the crash coming, so he stood up on the pegs just before impact. He was going so fast, his bike turned the car on its side. Thats right. A Dyna series small Harley turned the mid sized sedan on it's side. He flew over the car and impacted with the drivers door some how. He was badly injured. I saw what was left of his bike and was AMAZED he lived. He still rides too fast. Like the old saying goes, "Stupid is as stupid does!"

my 2 cts stay on the bike squeeze the front brake as hard as you can let the front wheel hit the car and hope for the best depending on your speed you may walk away with only bruises. unless you are doing 75mph !! in town if it happen at around 35 to 45 mph you have a great chance to get nothing else but sore abrasion,

Whenever I hear someone say "I had to lay her down" two things come to mind....first the guy is a bull****ter and I don't believe anything else he has to say and second...he's a lousy bike rider.

My 2 cents...

This question is aimed at Scot in Exile but everyone is welcome to chime in. A fellow I work with was just in a crash with a cager. The lady started to pull out and stopped, my bud started to slow. He figured she finally saw him and started to resume his speed. When he was a little closer she shot out in front of him. He then proceeded to "lay it down". He suffered a broken collar bone and a torn ACL in his right knee. Could have been a lot worse I suppose. I know the "old Harley riders" always talked of layin' um down. What is the recommendation now days ? I remember reading that staying on the bike and on the brakes was your best bet. The idea being to scrub off as much speed as possible before the impact. Any thoughts ? I'm talking situations where avoidance isn't possible.

First, I have never understood the lay it down logic, brakes are a lot better at slowing you down than sliding across the street and a lot less painful. Secondly, I would never resume my speed in the situation you described. I would continue going slowly past the suspect cager. I never look at the driver to see if they see me because you cannot tell for sure even if you lock eyes, and even if they see you they may pull out anyway. I always look at their wheels. If their wheels move at all then the brakes go on and I proceed with caution. You want to be as slow as possible on impact, and not screaming in pain as the road scrapes your skin off and the bike crushes you while you slide underneath the cage.

Fred Fred Fred #1 no one lays the bike down it is called a crash, when one is so close to hitting an object sometimes the worst thing you can do is brake at times it is better to swerve than brake, in a panic situation most riders will grab at both brakes and that usually does not work out well #1 front wheel locks they panic = low side #2 rear wheel lock, wheels out of line they let go the rear brake=high side (not good)
Remember you are not invincible on a bike if you hit a car it will be painfull.
An intersection is one of the most dangerous places for bikers, everyone has heard the saying I DID NOT SEE HIM:eek: an intersection is any place where a vehicle can enter into your path of travel which also includes driveways.
As the people who know me know I like to ride a wee bit fast:D but only on the open roads in town I obey (as much as possible) the speed limits.
Never trust anyone just because she was looking at him means nothing unless she is stripping down to nothing and calling out your name presume they do not see you.
Ride with caution and slow down.

Back