What the crap?! Ramair filter

Hiatus

Standard Bore
Ride
2014 R3R
Greetings all!
I received the Ramair filter and installation was a breeze. Got rid of all the stock plastics and the bike was running great!! Thanks @HansO! However, this morning I went to balance the TBs and upgrade the MAP lines with silicone and when I removed the Ramair pod two of the three rubber boots had cracked in half. Anyone have a similar situation? I've contacted Ramair and hopefully the will rectify the problem but I am pretty sure I didn't do anything to cause this but I dunno. o_O

I think there used to be an issue with cracking some time ago but they supposedly fixed it. Got mine new in March and have had it off and on a few times and it seems perfectly pliable so far. The clamps they provide are way overkill and it wouldn't be hard to over press the rubber boots. I'm not really sure they're even necessary at all. Just the slightest pressure from a tie-wrap would be plenty especially if you keep the bear claw cover.

Sorry for your problem but i'm certain they will take care of it. I talked to them about why they aren't selling or advertising the recharge oil and they were very responsive. Of course they haven't changed their marketing a bit? I think it would be to their advantage, but maybe they don't want to bring up any maintenance issues or the fact that it does have to be cleaned occasionally?

I think there used to be an issue with cracking some time ago but they supposedly fixed it. Got mine new in March and have had it off and on a few times and it seems perfectly pliable so far. The clamps they provide are way overkill and it wouldn't be hard to over press the rubber boots. I'm not really sure they're even necessary at all. Just the slightest pressure from a tie-wrap would be plenty especially if you keep the bear claw cover.

Sorry for your problem but i'm certain they will take care of it. I talked to them about why they aren't selling or advertising the recharge oil and they were very responsive. Of course they haven't changed their marketing a bit? I think it would be to their advantage, but maybe they don't want to bring up any maintenance issues or the fact that it does have to be cleaned occasionally?
Yeah I've never heard of a filter that needed zero cleaning. Hehe love the Ramair though just hope I don't have to fork out the dough for another.

Im still waiting for my OBD-2 cord
Held up in customs
Not sure if i need a courier arranged?
But here is a question that i thought was a given. , but after rereading e-mails with twin triumph im not so sure.
Does the R3 have obd-2 connection on board?

Great guys over at Ramair. Sending me a new filter to replace the cracked one. Also suggested that I not use the clamps if I'm keeping the bear claw cover, just clamp the breather. :)

Great guys over at Ramair. Sending me a new filter to replace the cracked one. Also suggested that I not use the clamps if I'm keeping the bear claw cover, just clamp the breather. :)

This post confuses my wee brain.
There are three clamps around the throttle bodies on mine.
What are these other clamps?

Discussion on other threads basically sum to (and we used to say this in the Air Force), "When all else fails, read the instructions."

The clamps for the RAMAir boots take next to no torque . . . and almost everyone who reports cracked boots has overtorqued the clamps.

Of course, I would say that is a design flaw on the part of RAMAir -- knowing that everything else on a machine needs to be torqued against a typical high vibration environment -- theirs should be made of tougher stuff.

Until that happens, read the instructions, and if you don't essentially torque them just past finger tight.

Just my two cents.

Greetings all!
I received the Ramair filter and installation was a breeze. Got rid of all the stock plastics and the bike was running great!! Thanks @HansO! However, this morning I went to balance the TBs and upgrade the MAP lines with silicone and when I removed the Ramair pod two of the three rubber boots had cracked in half. Anyone have a similar situation? I've contacted Ramair and hopefully the will rectify the problem but I am pretty sure I didn't do anything to cause this but I dunno. o_O

It noticed when installing mine that when you pushed the filter onto the throttle bodies that the clamps would ride up to the top of the grooves in the filter base. This leads to the clamps top edge being above the top of the spigot on the throttle bodies. That lead to clamping part of the filter base over thin air and the edge of the throttle bodies. It took a lot of fussing around to get the clamps pushed down so that they were fully down over the spigots and then I barely tightened them up.

Funny that Ramair said to leave the clamps off if using the bear claw. I thought about doing that and ditching the clamps but it wasn't in the instructions.

Darned OCD................:banghead::)

Back