What Happens if....

xlr8tion

Turbocharged
Ride
2016 BMW S1000XR
You install the DP AFR+ with a RAMAIR and forego the TORS/Cat elimination.

My want to eliminate the tupperware airbox and plumbing for ease of maintenance is turning into a 1000-1500 dollar project potentially.

So if I spend 500 and go with the RAMAIR and AFR+ will I lose HP/Torque off the stock values?

Thanks!

Greg

PS..These TORs are hard to find and there should be some kind of easier way like this dubious looking setup that I have attached...Looks like a Super Trapp!

Attachments

• 1-xb08.jpg
    1-xb08.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1-xb081.jpg
    1-xb081.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 2
There is a lot of restriction with the cats plus more heat.

I will stipulate that but the stock headers are restrictive too if you add the TORs/D and D/ Mad Dogs so we can work our self backwards to custom headers and straight pipe if we want full flow. The question remains is how does a R3 with stock exhaust run with K and Ns/Ramair and an AFR+?
As far as extra heat that should be dealt with by the liquid cooling of the engine so I don't see how that affects it and am not going to dive into Pouseilles law to calculate fluid(exhaust) flow through differing diameter pipes. I am thinking it should work...Has anyone tried it?

TORs are in high demand..the cat eliminator is what, 300 dollars? Seems like alot to spend if you are not losing performance off stock numbers.

I had a 2006 GTO with an LS2 Corvette 6 liter stock...Spend 4K oh shorty headers, catless miids, special cross over and a borla cat back...Net HP gain....41 HP and it sounded worse than the stock exhaust. So before I dive in to a TORs expediton or dropping a grand on an exhaust system I am just looking to see if anyone has run a modded Air Intake with out having to change the whole exhaust system-sans the stock headers.

Well..Just talked to Leonard at D and D...no more pipes for Classics as no one was buying them so they discontinued them last year. End of that route..Said one set a month was being bought so they killed it. Now they just make the slip ons for the 08 forward Touring which they sell 6 or 7 a month.

Thanks for your input!

G

I pretty much gave away a set of 3 pipe TORS, although I did sell a Staintune cat eliminator for a couple of hundred. I'm sure you'll find a set cheap enough. In any case, if all you need to change is the intake you really don't need the AFR+ straight away. Do it in stages.

Stock pipes/cat are way more restrictive than the stock header, by the way. It's not until you start pushing up the rev limit and/or changing internals that you'd really notice much difference with a whole new exhaust system. I ran triple K&Ns and TORS for a long time with stock header and the bike was quick enough. Just ask yourself whether you want convenience and a good running and performing bike or you're out to drag people off at the lights. Frankly, when I installed the CES headers on my bike it didn't make a noticeable difference in power at all (maybe on a dyno if I'd bothered). That's not to say the headers aren't good; more a comment on how well it was going before hand.

Replacing the stock intake plumbing with an open filter like RAMAIR if you still have the stock exhaust fitted gives you the following:

-20lb-ft of torque from 1000-4000RPM (147lb-ft bone stock/128lb-ft with replaced intake)
0 HP change up top

I tested it on my bike before I did the exhaust, it is a net loss in power in the mid and low RPM area.

Super-Trap .... well, you know that company Jardine that used to make R3 exhausts? Yeah, Super-Trap bought them out and stopped production, support them if you want to.

Last edited:
I agree. Just opening up the air intake will give a loss in torque in the low and mid-range RPM's. The long intake tract of the stock set up is designed to increase low and mid-range power. Other than getting rid of the pain in the ass "Tupperware" set up to make maintenance, such as changing plugs and checking valves easier, there is no benefit until you go to further upgrades, such as exhaust.

Replacing the stock intake plumbing with an open filter like RAMAIR if you still have the stock exhaust fitted gives you the following:

-20lb-ft of torque from 1000-4000RPM (147lb-ft bone stock/128lb-ft with replaced intake)
0 HP change up top

I tested it on my bike before I did the exhaust, it is a net loss in power in the mid and low RPM area.

Super-Trap .... well, you know that company Jardine that used to make R3 exhausts? Yeah, Super-Trap bought them out and stopped production, support them if you want to.

So, I want to ask this question in reverse...... I have an 05 with TORS/No catbox. It has the 20220 map. I want to install RamAir setup, I've been told by Triumph mechanic at the dealership that adding the RamAir to my setup will not increase increase HP, only quicker throttle response (I assume he means just adding the R/A & not re-mapping). I am fine with that as I have plenty of HP for my liking. I really want the R/A setup to accomplish, as has already been stated here, to get rid of plumbing - My main question is: can I install the RamAir without re-mapping? I really don't want to re-map if I don't have to, as I am somewhat "computerly challenged" AND the bike is very reliable now for long distance sailing so I'd like to keep mapping close to stock. I know that replacing the intake system with R/A will cause it to be leaner but I get a purty good amount of decal popping now so I assume it is already a little on the rich side. I like the low to mid range torque it has now... not needing high end max mph.
I hope this is not too stupid a question, I was beamed down here from the carburetor days. :confused:

Claviger and Canberra....

If I drop the cat and go with a 3 into 2 D and D's running a RAMAIR and AFR+ that gets me back to stock numbers essentially with an easier to maintain and better sounding bike? Man..I'd rather give up HP than Torque!

Thanks....

G

0 HP change up top

Back