schwatt

.020 Over
Hi i have a open face at mo but getting fed up with bugs,noise etc etc,
got a 91 Stormtrooper Simpson but dont look right, what fullfaces look good on Rockets, anybody got the new V8 Roof what they look like?,just think Rockets ,crisers etc always associated with open face so difficult, ok ok thats me done !!:eek:

I've been riding "cruisers" for some time with either a full face or most recently (since 2003) a modular. Don't fall for the "looking good" while cruising pitfall. Wear what you think will bring YOU comfort and don't worry about what others think.

I currently am wearing the HJC IS-Max...it has a built in sun visor that can slide down or up as needed.

Dennis

My Amanda just bought a Shark Vision R with the built in second visor. Matt black. Looks very cool and no need for shades. Cost a bomb though. As MoMan says, HJC do one similar as does RJays TSS - both have the built in retractable sun visor. I'd go for any of those. Personally, I prefer the open face except in the rain and have my old faithful for that.

Dennis is absolutely right. When it comes to full face helmets fit is the only thing that really matters. Different helmets are made to fit different head shapes. Arai is one of the few that makes different models based on shape. The only way to know what will work for you is to try on various brands.

Open face helmets, especially half helmets are much more flexible and thus the shape is less important. A full face helmet designed for a round head will create such forehead pain for someone with a long oval head that you'll end up throwing the **** thing across the room. An expensive mistake, and yes, its from experience.

I had the same problem when i got the Rocket. Did'nt like the full face helmet look but had no choice. Without a screen it was too painfull at the pace i was driving. I bought a cheap matt black Caberg incase i did'nt like it.Never looked back, alot quieter than open face, warmer in our climate and a drop down sunvisor all for £80. I do like the look of the Roof flip fronts though if you feel the need to spend more.

SHARK EVOLINE....best helmet I have ever owned. Up until a couple of years ago, I was one of those riders who rarely wore a helmet. Then...a guy who works for me tripped getting out of a golf cart, fell and hit his head on the asphalt and died two days later. Got me thinking that my noggin probably would not fare well if impacted against pavement at 60 mph. I then started wearing the best half-helmet I could find and quickly became accustomed to it. Then....a buddy of mine laid his bike down wearing his half helmet...and basically crushed the bottom half of his face in. So....I began thinking that I am too good looking to have my face crushed in should I go down, and began looking at modular helmets. Tried on a bunch, and finally settled on the Shark Evoline modular after reading reviews and talking to people about it. The cool thing about the Evoline is that the chin bar actually rotates all the way over the helmet top and locks at the back of the helmet, instead of sitting on top of the helmet like most modular helmets do. Plus, it has the built-in smoke visor that works VERY well...no need for sunglasses or goggles whatsover. I've never been a fan of full-face helmets due to the weight, lack of peripheral vision, etc, that is until I found this one....which I highly recommend. You get the best of both worlds, a true open-face helmet if you want, or a true full-face helmet with the push of a button and the rotation of the chin bar.

Just Google the helmet and you will find a vast majority of reviews are positive.

It's not cheap if you buy retail...$350-400. HOWEVER....I bought mine off Craigslist for $175 and seller claimed it had only been worn twice...to which the condition in came in appeared to be brand new with box, bag, papers, etc. I see them on Craigs consistently for half the price of a new Shark...

Hope this helps. You can't go wrong with the Shark.

The modular helmets are a good choice for cruiser / touring riding. I use a Shoei X-11 and am about to retire it for something similar (it's a bit old), but full-face helmets designed for race/sportbike use may not fare as well in a straight-up sitting position.

Also, don't be afraid to wear ear plugs. Full-Face helmets can be a bit noisy, especially if they provide good airflow. I use disposable plugs that used to come from bike shops, but now pick them up from any Walgreens, and wear them 99% of the time.

I would highly recommend the Shoei Qwest. Most full-face helmets seemed to be designed for the aggressive sport bike riding postion (leaning forward, leading with the forehead, with the chin more down and back), the Qwest is designed (in a wind tunnel) for the more upright, relaxed riding postion of cruisers and touring bikes. It's also extremely quiet, of course this will vary with different windshield types and positions.

Back