What drives this desire to ride.....

Tal

Living Legend
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Its interesting isn't it what forces inside us make us want to gear up and climb on a bike and ride.....its very hard to even explain to a person who dosnt ride what emotions we have when riding. Me personally i find peace in my soul (if thats not too soppy)...there is a calmness that i get amid the awareness when i ride....I feel at one with the bike...its like being an extension of the bike...smooth gear changes,,,power rushes...braking forces...fresh air...warmth...cold....smells...and doing all this with guys and girls who 'Get it'...like i do...and then we get to gather in our leathers...drinks in hand ..food...and laugh and talk the same language of bikes...its a love affair for me...ide be very lost without it.

it also takes care of the situation of your wife saying why don't u go for a ride :laugh: :roll:
it does...my lady says just that...'Why dont you go for a ride then if youre bored?'.......'I might do that i think' i reply, 'wanna come?'......"No!..ive got housework to do!'.....she says..'Be Careful".....and i'm gone...lol

It is hard to explain. Life gets mundane or routine at times and a motorcycle can give you an adrenaline rush at times or move you out of your comfort zone in a good way. You ride and collect your thoughts and solve pending problems all the while enjoying the fresh air and scenery. I will have a two wheel cycle of some sort until I can't throw my leg over the saddle. I can't imagine my life without a motorcycle even if I can only physically ride once a month one will sit in my garage until my days are done. I use to ride with 8 friends starting from 1981. I have hundreds of rides with them together and with just a few at times. Slowly through out the years they stopped riding all together. Sadly my last friend to ride hasn't ridden with me in over a year and just sold his Harley around 4 or so months ago and now it's just me. I went to Big Sur by myself last week on a 600 mile, two day round trip. I had a blast!

Suspension is an interesting one. I read all the posts about it, and to be honest I don’t know much about it. I’m riding the bike in it’s stock suspension settings, its firm, and it seems fine. It doesn’t like big holes or bumps at speed, but I like the feedback I get from the road most of the time so I’ll take the tradeoff.

and now it's just me.
...and you know what?....its a very satisfying thing to do too!....pick your own route as you go...pick your own speed..places to stop.....yell out loud should you choose to...stand up...sit on the back seat...lay down over the bars...all sorts of stuff......and when youre ready point the bike homeward...its great!

it does...my lady says just that...'Why dont you go for a ride then if youre bored?'.......'I might do that i think' i reply, 'wanna come?'......"No!..ive got housework to do!'.....she says..'Be Careful".....and i'm gone...lol
Ah, the familiar guilt trip line, housework. I remember those days.

Its interesting isn't it what forces inside us make us want to gear up and climb on a bike and ride.....its very hard to even explain to a person who dosnt ride what emotions we have when riding. Me personally i find peace in my soul (if thats not too soppy)...there is a calmness that i get amid the awareness when i ride....I feel at one with the bike...its like being an extension of the bike...smooth gear changes,,,power rushes...braking forces...fresh air...warmth...cold....smells...and doing all this with guys and girls who 'Get it'...like i do...and then we get to gather in our leathers...drinks in hand ..food...and laugh and talk the same language of bikes...its a love affair for me...ide be very lost without it.
Fun?

I think it just make me feel alive, free and I can push problems aside at least while riding... even when drivers in south florida seem to want the opposite and ran me over with their crazy driving, it seems to me that weekend early mornings are not longer safer here. I really prefer to ride in the NC mountains, the smell of the pine and the tranquility of the area and the people, oh well, next month.

I'm sure I can't add anything that you guys have not yet said other than I am no longer allowed to hang out the helicopter door with a machinegun, so I need the bike to feel that void.

Conversely, I have many conversations with those who are not riders and never will be. They say-It is too dangerous to ride here, Its is too uncomfortable to ride in the heat, It is to uncomfortable to ride in the cold, It is too loud to ride, I can't wear a helmet, it hurts too much so I can't ride. Motorcycles are too complicated to ride. Motorcycles cost too much to ride once a month. I don't like having to 'get dressed up' before I go riding, it's too much of a hassle. Motorcycles are too hard to keep clean... It goes on and on it seems. For me though, not one of those ideas are a bother to me. I love to ride, period.

Back