What are the signs

pwrjunkie80

.040 Over
Hey guys, I have a 2007 rocket classic. I noticed a kind of grinding sound coming from I think the somewhere in the drive shaft. But only under accel or decel, not idling, so I know its not the engine. I cant tell if its just gear noise or a real problem. Ive read the threads about the output shaft bearing. Do you think it could be this? IT dosent sound too bad, but I dont want let it go, if it could be a prob.

Thoughts?

Tim

If you recently had the tire replaced, check the plastic dust cover on the rear end, sometimes they get it folded in and it rubs. If it's damaged (kinked) you may need to use a razor to cut off the burr.
Your description does sound like a bearing though, that sucks.

Yep, I'd bet money to donut holes its the bearing.
Sound like a brake dragging when you roll it forward a little?
If it does, its the bearing.

Hmm, wouldnt a brake dragging sound more like a squeak or something? When I roll it forward a little with my helmet off it sounds more like a clunk of the gear engaging and then a slight grinding sound. But It may just be that I am paraniod, as I know it makes some gear noise. Can barley hear it on the the highway, but when the wind noise is down its more audible.

It's funny, but the rear brake on mine sounds like insects when applied. Kind of like crickets from a distance .... It's probably just the new pads along with the ventilated rotors. But it does sound weird, ONLY with the rear brake applied though, not all the time.

I still think from your original description, its the output shaft bearing.
I did the same thing you described.
twisted the throttle in neutral, no sound.
let the cluth out with it in gear, and rolling,
there it is.
Sounds like its coming from the rear of the bike.
to me it sounded like a brake on a vehicle dragging,
not the high squeeling you refered to.
I'd haul it to a dealer.
Either way, it ain't right.
Let us know.
skip

I still think from your original description, its the output shaft bearing.
I did the same thing you described.
twisted the throttle in neutral, no sound.
let the cluth out with it in gear, and rolling,
there it is.
Sounds like its coming from the rear of the bike.
to me it sounded like a brake on a vehicle dragging,
not the high squeeling you refered to.
I'd haul it to a dealer.
Either way, it ain't right.
Let us know.
skip

Ok, Ill keep ya informed. This is usually taken care of by Triumph?

Took it to my local bike shop to get the tires replaced. Sure enough, its the bearing, and getting worse. Looks like Ill have to trailer it to the actual Triumph dealer. Any other issues these bikes have? Never had any with my 05. This one is not getting off to a great start.

Tim

Back