Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
Having previously owned a Rocket Classic I'm no neophyte to the oddities of the Rocket fuel gauges but I just discovered a goofy characteristic on my 2009 Touring.

Just because of the miserable cold and rainy weather here in the Pacific Northwest, I've not been able to get out on the freeway and burn up a full tank of gas. The delay in indicating a full tank upon fill is apparently common but I was very surprised to see the significant drop in the fuel gauge after about only 32 miles.

After filling my tank the other day, I rode around locally and at about 30 miles the fuel gauge had dropped to just over half tank. WTF? I keep about 24 gals of fresh non-ethanol gas handy for my generator so filled up from one of my six gallon jugs and then rode around locally. Sure enough, at about 30 miles the gauge dropped to just over half tank again. I was wondering what the heck was wrong with my Rocket to be using that much fuel. I just measured exactly one gallon of fuel this evening and poured it into the tank and sure enough the tank almost overflowed.

The good news is that I'm getting around 30-32 MPG around town with a very heavy fist but not so good news is that my Touring has a profoundly goofy fuel gauge indicator. I'm looking forward to a good day that I can take it out on a 200 mile freeway ride and how the fuel gauge really works.

If I had one complaint about Triumph, it is their sincere lack of electrical knowhow. You live in a cold and rainy area similar to the UK where our beloved machines are built. One would think they could make something that could with stand the rigors of cold and damp. One would think...

Back in the day I had a MGB and TR4A and one of the worst things on both was Lucas electrics. I remember a cartoon around then showing a guy sitting up in a hospital bed after cardiac surgery terrified and screaming "You installed a Lucas pacemaker?!?"

Last edited:
OK guys. No Lucas jokes, like the reason the Brits drink their beer warm and the reason they have no capital punishment. Lucas builds their refrigerators and their electric chair. No jokes like that. :roll:

As I recall I did my first fill after only local riding at about 125 miles and about the same for the next tank. I just didn't notice that rapid initial drop until lately and it is just an annoyance. Love the machine though.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1515008035225.jpg

Don't need no fuel gauge
FB_IMG_1515008035225.jpg

Hey guys your talking about electrics on bikes and I've found the best solution there is. When I work on a bike I keep a tube of dielectric grease and dab all connects that I can while doing said job. Next time if I'm in a different part of the bike I do the same. Eventually all connections get done. Far less problems in the long haul.A little messy but it works.

Hey guys your talking about electrics on bikes and I've found the best solution there is. When I work on a bike I keep a tube of dielectric grease and dab all connects that I can while doing said job. Next time if I'm in a different part of the bike I do the same. Eventually all connections get done. Far less problems in the long haul.A little messy but it works.

Absolutely. I keep both dielectric grease and spray on hand. Use the spray for cleaning electrical connectors and grease them prior to joining the connectors.

I changed out my fuel filter at 25,000 miles. decided to adjust the float and totally screwed it up. Now at #amn near forty thousand plan on replacing fuel filter and buying new float arm. Luck of the draw.hopefully it will be close.:):):):):)

Back