Well, I finally needed to do the RamAir and Nels Tune

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I've been running the TORs on my R3T along with just the Power Tripp tune and today was the day I decided to make some changes. It has been 90 degrees with high humidity here in Michigan and today it finally cooled down to the mid 60s.

I noticed some issues with my bike, in particular, not wanting to idle smoothly. One of the guys I ride with always complains about my bike "stinking" especially when I would get on it. I noticed that the deceleration popping was becoming more noticeable. I didn't really mind it but it was kind of beginning to bug me a bit. As for my idle, it didn't seem to be very smooth sounding more like a Harley with a pulsating lub lub lub lub. I figured if I was going to have to do a throttle body balance to try and fix the idle I guess I might as well pull the intake off and put on the RamAir. I mean...really...I have only had the thing setting in the basement for almost a year!

I had been reluctant to put the RamAir on my bike because I was still undecided on a tune to use. That as well as the fact some people here on the forum have complained about noises when running it. I had prepared myself with some Dynamat so I could line the inside of the bear claw if needed. At the present, I can say I don't hear a thing out of the ordinary.

Anyway, off with the old intake and on with the RamAir. It went pretty easy as I had armed myself with a variety of 3mm hex bits and fancy tools to get all of the clamps loosened up. Once the old air intake pieces were remove I installed the RamAir and tidied up thing under the tank.

Next came the tune as I had decided on the "Touring Tune By Nels At TwoWheelDynoWorks" I had gotten that tuning from @Bob R many month ago and since I was going to be running the same setup as his it was going to be my choice. I wanted a tune that had actually been tested and run on a Dynojet as compared to one that had just been tweaked. There are some major changes in the tuning with the most noteworthy being all the L-Tables being the same (I don't understand all that) and of course the O2 sensor is turned off as well. I have read this will necessitate me eventually removing the O2 sensor if I don't want it to go bad. I have prepared for that as well with some kind of a O2 bypass thingy I also bought months ago. I pulled off the old tune and saved it (I don't know why) and downloaded the new tune, reset the adaptives and ran the 12 minute tune until the TPS light came on. I checked my throttle balance and found the 3rd cylinder to be off more than I wanted. I tweaked that to bring all three throttle bodies in line with each other and finished putting the bike back together. And yes, I lubricated all the linkage and checked all the vacuum lines before doing this.

All of this narrative for a couple more sentences....I took the bike for a ride and it runs great. It runs as well or a little better than it did. There is no objectionable or strange noises coming from the RamAir. Absolutely all of the deceleration popping is gone and has been replaced now with a burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr or purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when decelerating. Much smoother now on the idle and as I suspected, the throttle bodies were out of balance just enough to cause an issue. At least I can get to the adjusting screws now as well as many other things. A day well spent...ready to ride. :D;)

I am glad it is working for you. FYI, I am getting 27-30 mpg with that tune. That's about 6 miles of secondary road @ 65 or so, about 6 miles of Interstate @ 80ish and then through town in traffic for about 6 miles.

bob

I am glad it is working for you. FYI, I am getting 27-30 mpg with that tune. That's about 6 miles of secondary road @ 65 or so, about 6 miles of Interstate @ 80ish and then through town in traffic for about 6 miles.

bob

Mileage is not a big deal with the beast, but I'm actually surprised you aren't doing a little better. I think the Tripp tune was running way rich thinking about all the popping and smell. I was doing around 32-34 by my best guess checking milage against fuel. Hmmmm.

Mileage is not a big deal with the beast, but I'm actually surprised you aren't doing a little better. I think the Tripp tune was running way rich thinking about all the popping and smell. I was doing around 32-34 by my best guess checking milage against fuel. Hmmmm.

How right you are, if I wanted gas mileage I wouldn't have a Rocket, besides it is twice as good gas mileage as my car and truck. I use a gas mileage calculator on my GPS that I use for instruments. ;)

How right you are, if I wanted gas mileage I wouldn't have a Rocket, besides it is twice as good gas mileage as my car and truck. I use a gas mileage calculator on my GPS that I use for instruments. ;)

Hay @Bob R what app are you using / GPS device do you use?

I am using a Garmin Nuvi with the EcoRoute app and the OBD transmitter.

Garmin Nuvi 3490 LMT as gauges

bob

How does your MPH match up between your bike speedo as compared to your garmin. I haven't checked it against mine yet. I noticed the correction numbers in the tune were a little different than what I was running before. My other numbers were pretty close before. Maybe 1 MPH off compared to my Garmin. Thinking about changing the number...

How does your MPH match up between your bike speedo as compared to your garmin. I haven't checked it against mine yet. I noticed the correction numbers in the tune were a little different than what I was running before. My other numbers were pretty close before. Maybe 1 MPH off compared to my Garmin. Thinking about changing the number...

I haven't checked in forever, probably when I first started using it. I recall that when I did it was close enough not to be concerned about. I leave mine on the gauges all the time.

bob

I haven't checked in forever, probably when I first started using it. I recall that when I did it was close enough not to be concerned about. I leave mine on the gauges all the time.

bob
I have the same setup. I leave mine on the 5 gauge set up. Tach in the centre, charging rate, speed, coolant temp & engine load around the outside. The best add on I have made.

Back