weekend because her back has been bothering her) noticed my tail light
was out. Brake light worked though.

After checking it out when I got home, it appeared my license
plate light was out as well. Figuring it was a fuse, I pulled fuse #10
to take a look and it didn't appear blown. I put a new one in
anyway, problem persists.

So, I turn the ignition key to 'park' to see if things light up. They
light up just fine, tail light, license plate light, position lights are
all on. Brake light works with the key in the park or 'on' position.
Put the old fuse back, still works fine with the key in 'park'. In the
'on' position (engine on or off), both the tail light and plate light are
out.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause such a problem?

Last edited:
That's odd all right... perhaps the connector in the fusebox is loose, and one fuse fits just a bit differently than the other?

I'd start by checking each and every connector for good contacts and tightness. Dab a bit of dilectric on 'em while you're at it, to head off future issues (though modern Deutch or WeatherPaks are **** near bulletproof). Sounds like something's loose.

I had a ground issue with the tail light . . . the turn signals would all come on when I hit the brakes . . . fixed the ground, no more problem. Doesnt sound like a ground because it works when the switch is turned to another position . . .

That's odd all right... perhaps the connector in the fusebox is loose, and one fuse fits just a bit differently than the other?

I'd start by checking each and every connector for good contacts and tightness. Dab a bit of dilectric on 'em while you're at it, to head off future issues (though modern Deutch or WeatherPaks are **** near bulletproof). Sounds like something's loose.

....You wish that Triumph used good, weatherproof MOLEX connectors.....nada.

Better pull 'em apart and pack 'em with di-electric grease. First thing I did when I bought the bike.

Whoever made the harness was the lowest bidder.

....You wish that Triumph used good, weatherproof MOLEX connectors.....nada.

Better pull 'em apart and pack 'em with di-electric grease. First thing I did when I bought the bike.

Whoever made the harness was the lowest bidder.

No kidding?

Great. So I get to replace every single connector on that blasted thing. I won't -just- do the dilectric. Hopefully the terminals are the 3mm self-locking type that's most common. I can get away with just using the housings, that being the case.

Wonder how I missed that when I installed the fuel gauge and clock?

Back