Weird shift problem video

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Hi all, well, I must be feeling better, as I went out today, and pulled the front cover off my 05 Rocket. Besides a juddering clutch, which I think is from me leaving out the judder spring on my Barnett install, I've had this weird shift thing going on, for quite a long while. Kinda hard to explain, so I tried to get a video of it. Video is with bike in neutral, if I lift on the shift lever, there's nothing there, no spring tension, kinda like it's not connected. If I gently push down, not enough to shift, there is spring tension, (detent spring). On my other 2 Rockets, I have slight spring tension both up and down, while in neutral. On this problem 05, I've never had it pop out of gear, but when up-shifting, sometimes it takes a double lift, to up-shift. I've learned while riding, when ready to up-shift, if I slightly lift, and if I feel nothing, to let off, and on second slight lift, it is solid, and will up-shift no problem. I've quit for the day, but tomorrow, will pull the clutch and basket. I'm suspecting the weird shaped spring, that I've heard of one end or the other breaking off.
Triumph SPRING,GEARCHANGE,RETURN Part # T1190011
My detent spring is on, and intact.

Well, bummer, so to speak. Both of the springs I suspected might be broke, are all intact, and fine. The slop I'm experiencing is somewhere between the shift rod that goes into the side of the block, and whatever/however it attaches to whatever it attaches to. Someone mentioned a bolt that sometimes comes loose ???? Must do research.... HELP, any ideas?
rocketshifter.jpg

Ah Ha! I see bolt part # 12 could be the culprit. Now someone that has more experience than me, tell me I can get to it by dropping the sump, instead of having to split the cases..... PLEASE......
gearselector.jpg

Well, bummer, so to speak. Both of the springs I suspected might be broke, are all intact, and fine. The slop I'm experiencing is somewhere between the shift rod that goes into the side of the block, and whatever/however it attaches to whatever it attaches to. Someone mentioned a bolt that sometimes comes loose ???? Must do research.... HELP, any ideas?

I'd be very tempted to change out those springs for new ones while I am in there.....on the possible chance the spring temper has weakened to a point that might explain the slackness you are observing......just a thought.....perhaps a paranoid thought......? I would be worried that leaving the original springs in there might tempt fate. :unsure:

Yes, I will for sure, already have the detent (21) and the other (25). Still hunting some parts I know I have ordered, just can't put my hand on them yet, like the newer pressure plate with a ball bearing, instead of the roller, and the newer lifter pin, and I know I have 2 of the lifter rods here somewhere. I'm a hoarder and have way too many hobbies, and it can be a mess. Also, being single since 1992, allows me to be a very bad boy about ordering parts, toy's etc. etc. Motorcycles, RC planes/drones/trucks/ Guns, on and on. Spoiled rotten for sure!:):):):):):)

my spare / R&D engine was stuck in 5th when i acquired it, the bike as crashed and the splined gearchange actuator shaft (#8) got hammered by the road, pushing it inward, so it bent the gearchange shaft (#22) and loosened that bolt #12.
i could shift up but not down.

anyway you'll have to split the cases and lift out the transmission gear shaft assemblies to get to it i'm afraid

same goes for detent wheel bolt (#11), even though it's on the outside of the gear 'box', iirc you have to remove bolt #12 to get the gearchange shaft (#22) out, and #22 has to be out to get to #11
Not sure if you can disassemble the front end of #22 to shortcut to #11 though.

So, in other words, bolt #12 goes through the detent shaft, and into that ball looking part #3 ??? In that diagram detent assy #22 shows a hole part way up that shaft. I'm guessing bolt #12 goes through that, right ????

Back